Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Darv  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2016 10:00:11 AM(UTC)
Darv

Groups: Registered

So I noticed a puddle next to my upright last night and discovered the inside temp was at 45 degrees. It was not running and of course the alarm SOME HOW was turned off!!

I turned it to the off position inside and unplugged it for about for about 3 minutes. I plugged it back in and turned the thermostat knob on and turned it to a colder setting. It took a minute, but it clicked on and was blowing cold air.

I let it run for 2 hours and checked the temp. Just didn't seem like she was getting cold enough, so I turned it up to the coldest setting and kept checking it every 2 hours. it wouldn't get below 10 degrees, even letting it run overnight and the items in the middle shelves are not freezing.

It is still dripping underneath, but what I found strange was the drip was coming from the metal line coming off the compressor towards the middle of the freezer, close to the drain cup. The drip was coming from where the pipe insulation ended on the line.

Any advice? I cannot find anything to point me in the right direction of the cause and/or fix.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Darv  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2016 1:47:07 PM(UTC)
Darv

So digging around some more I tore the inside back panel off to check and see if coils were frozen. Figured the drip was following the line down from the coils. Sure enough, all iced up.

I have continuity at the defrost thermostat. I went to the back and turned the defrost timer almost a complete turn and the blower/compressor shut off. Looked inside and the defroster was glowing real nice.

I figure that's the culprit, yes?? The defrost timer that is. I guess it got stuck at the defrost point and never moved on, until I discovered it at 45 degrees and leaving a puddle. When I turned it off and unplugged her for a couple of minutes it must have gave it a bump?? But then she stayed on run and never went thru another defrost cycle.

Just sorta spitballin' here, but it does kinda make sense to me. Anyhoo, a local shop had a timer, so I picked it up quick and installed. Running now, but I'll give her a couple hours and see if it starts operating normally.

Fingers crossed!!
ThatGuy  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2016 4:16:48 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You're on the right track, but you need to get all the frost and ice out of the freezer coils.

Just unplugging it for a few hours won't do it. All the ice and frost needs to go. I use hot water and a shop-vac to melt the ice and contain the mess.

Unplug the refrig. Remove the freezer back wall. Put several towels in the bottom of the freezer. Carefully poor hot water over the coils while vacuuming up the excess water. Use a strong flashlight to make sure all the ice is gone. Use towels to dry the walls before re-assembly.

That and the new timer should do it.
Darv  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:23:02 PM(UTC)
Darv

It's running alot better, but it's still leaking water on the floor. I suspect the drain hole is frozen shut and the water from the defrost cycle is following the copper tube from the coil to the compressor. Then just dripping on the concrete floor.

I believe you're right, gonna have to defrost the whole enchilada.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply