Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jss1439  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:05:06 AM(UTC)
jss1439

Groups: Registered

Hey all, I have an older GE Hotpoint model CTX21 GRBR that has just stopped working. The only things that happen when plugged in are the light comes on and there's a slight hum from behind the freezer. I checked to see if the hum was the freezer fan but it was not. I'm not showing any power with multi-meter getting to the lower fan plug or compressor plug but the plug going up to the freezer does get power. Not getting any clicking noises from the relay or anything. Just the slight hum from up top. Compressor also seems to check out ok by doing an ohms test across the 3 prongs. I'm thinking about getting a new relay and capacitor unless there is something else someone here can advise on checking.

Thanks for your time and thanks for reading.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:16:27 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

How long did you leave it plugged in? Sounds like it might be in defrost mode. Have you tried advancing the defrost timer? Those older units are pretty simple as far as systems go. If you have no power to the compressor or condenser fan, either the t-stat is stuck or it's in defrost.
jss1439  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:49:07 AM(UTC)
jss1439

It was on overnight. How do you advance the defrost timer? How can you tell if thermostat or defrost is stuck?

Originally Posted by: cbmserviceguy Go to Quoted Post
How long did you leave it plugged in? Sounds like it might be in defrost mode. Have you tried advancing the defrost timer? Those older units are pretty simple as far as systems go. If you have no power to the compressor or condenser fan, either the t-stat is stuck or it's in defrost.
cbmserviceguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:10:01 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

The defrost timer is advanced by a dial you turn with a screw driver. The t-stat is checked by taking voltage readings on either side of it. You can also check it with an ohm meter if working with live voltage makes you nervous.
jss1439  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:38:48 AM(UTC)
jss1439

Hey I think that fixed it. I found the defrost timer turned the wheel I heard it click and everything came on. Thank you so much! I will look for a new timer now since that one may do it again.

I will post back later or tomorrow to let you know if the fridge cooled and the freezer made ice.

Again thanks for your help!
cbmserviceguy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:50:56 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Awesome! Glad it took care of you. I would replace that timer since it may have been stuck or maybe the timer motor quit running. Either way, you don't want to chance it and defrosting is important. Let us know how it works out!
jss1439  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:54:42 AM(UTC)
jss1439

Yep that fixed it. Got up this morning and fridge is nice and cold and freezer made ice ha. I will definitely be changing the timer. Thanks again cbmserviceguy for your help.

One more question. How hot should the compressor get in a fridge? this one is more on the hot side than warm. Almost hot to the touch. should this be a concern?
cbmserviceguy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:59:28 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. It probably ran all night to get everything down to temp. As long as the condenser fan is running and it's maintaining temps, just go with the flow. Glad that got ya squared away. Replace that timer asap. It will need to defrost a couple times a day and not doing so will cause increasing performance issues.
jss1439  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:02:41 AM(UTC)
jss1439

Ok great will do.

Thanks!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply