Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bgoans  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
bgoans

Groups: Registered

I have a kenmore (frigidaire) upright freezer. Here are the conditions under which it stops working:

1. A power flicker happens (usually outage less than 2 seconds)
2. freezer does not kick back on (light on front still works and panel still shows setting)
3. I have to unplug freezer and leave unplugged for a minute or two. When I plug it back it, it starts working as usual.

This does not happen every power outage. In fact, it only happens about twice a year and we have a power outage at least once a month. I have thought it may be due to one of the following:

A. surge that set a resettable fuse in the freezer (but I discounted this since the front light and all the control circuits still light up and appear to work)
B. I am betting it only happens during certain conditions (i.e. compressor starting, compressor running or something). I have thought that it is something in the time-delay reset for the compressor, but am not sure

This happens far enough apart that it is really annoying. The freezer still seems to work fine, and this problem has been around for at least 5 years (may have been from the beginning, but not sure).

Any thoughts or fixes would be appreciated. I have toyed with 2 ideas to fix it:

1. Try a real surge suppressor on it and see if it works, but not optimistic on this one.
2. break down and put it on a UPS (I would plan to use a real sine wave always on model, and yes this would cost more than a new freezer, so havn't done that yet).

Thanks for reading and looking.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.