Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seattle DIY  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 12:48:40 PM(UTC)
seattle DIY

Groups: Registered

Hello, pros! Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a problem with my GE Monogram ice maker, which freezes periodically, and stops working. It's a built-in, bottom-freezer model and does not have a dispenser in the door, just a bin to hold the ice.

I'm not sure whether the water inlet itself is frozen over, or just some other part. When it stops working, the flap that is supposed to slide in or out depending on whether the ice maker is off or on (and also to shut it off if the bin gets too full) gets stuck in whatever position it's in, and moving the on/off switch doesn't affect it. It does not make any ice during this time. If I defrost the freezer, I can release whatever is frozen and get it working again, but this requires shutting off refrigeration as well (I can't set the freezer temp above freezing while keeping the fridge temp low). Also, it seems to be happening more frequently now.

While stuck, the ice maker often emits a quiet cycling noise about once every couple of seconds.

Has anyone dealt with this issue with this model or similar? Is there an easier or recommended way to defrost when it happens? Is there a part that can be replaced or installed to help prevent this from happening?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.