Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gene1000  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 4:18:40 PM(UTC)
gene1000

Groups: Registered

This refrigerator was built in 2003 and is in a garage. It is very hot sometimes which causes the unit to work harder, I know. In fact, I have a furnace in this same garage and I have known the thermocouple to turn on the furnace fan thinking the burner was on(which, of course, it was not) Anyway back to the refrigerator. It quit today. In trying to determine what might be wrong, I put a thermometer in the refrigerator section and it will only go down to about 60 degrees. The freezer, however will go to about 8 degrees. What could be the problem? and is it worth fixing?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

GeneC2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:17:14 PM(UTC)
GeneC2

Originally Posted by: gene1000 Go to Quoted Post
This refrigerator was built in 2003 and is in a garage. It is very hot sometimes which causes the unit to work harder, I know. In fact, I have a furnace in this same garage and I have known the thermocouple to turn on the furnace fan thinking the burner was on(which, of course, it was not) Anyway back to the refrigerator. It quit today. In trying to determine what might be wrong, I put a thermometer in the refrigerator section and it will only go down to about 60 degrees. The freezer, however will go to about 8 degrees. What could be the problem? and is it worth fixing?

Since we have the same name I will try to help you, there is more information needed so you'll have to investigate a bit, you'll have to be sure fan in freezer compartment is running 1st, then you will have to remove the panel to expose the coils to see if they are frozen, if they are it could be the defrost heater or the fan not running. First Unplug fridge and let defrost with doors open for at least 48hrs, check fridge section and around unit for water that's a good indication of fan or heater failure. Plug back in and you should hear freezer fan running, if not that could be problem let it run for a day or two and check temps, if they are normal and then start to drop and fan is running your heater may be bad, you can test with ohm meter with unit unplugged. other than that if all door seals are good and unit was functioning properly to this point the environment should not matter that much. Your temp diffs, point to a cooling problem and it sounds like frozen evap coil.
gene1000  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:27:00 PM(UTC)
gene1000

Thanks for the guidance. Looks like I have a little work to do before I know what is my problem or if it is repairable.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply