Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
garyfritz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:08:33 PM(UTC)
garyfritz

Groups: Registered

My fridge seems to be dying. This fridge doesn't owe me a thing -- it's over 25 yrs old and has always been rock-solid -- but I'm planning to replace it within about 6 months (after a kitchen remodel) and I'd really prefer to limp it along for a few more months. Doesn't seem worth a $$service call$$ for that, if I can avoid it.

Symptoms: a month ago I came home to soupy ice cream, thawed meat, etc. I put a temp probe in the freezer and it was right around 30°F. Scratched my head and tried to figure out what was up, and then after a day or so it suddenly started freezing again. Freezer temps dropped down to the 5°F range, though they fluctuated between 0 and 10. Then yesterday the freezer was back up to 30 again, and it was 40 by last night; fridge is in the mid/high 40's.

* Freezer control is set to max cool, fridge set to mid-range. (I figured that would leave more cold for the freezer?)

* Fan is running OK.

* Compressor is running.

* It's chilling, but apparently not enough. There's cold air blowing into the freezer. (Bottom freezer BTW)

* Last time it was running warm, I pulled it away from the wall and noticed the back of the fridge was very warm. I'm not sure if it's like that when it's running properly.

Defroster running non-stop? Compressor working intermittently? Thermostat gone wonky? Any suggestions how I can keep this old horse on the road for a little longer?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.