Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aBs0lut30  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:31:26 AM(UTC)
aBs0lut30

Groups: Registered

So, this all started out after I was a moron and and didn't fully close the freezer door one night.

The next morning I got up and of course everything in the freezer was thawing out. So I closed the door and left it to go to work. I came back and it was still nice and warm in there.

I'm a bit of a DIYer so I got out my AC guages and got a couple of line taps from Amazon. At the moment, I don't have the high side tapped as the taps I got were too big for that line, waiting to get that tapped...

So, I hooked up and saw VERY low pressure on the low side.

I can crank it up, and it kicks the compressor on and starts to come up to pressure. The high side starts getting warm, then after 3 minutes or so, starts to cool back off and the compressor (still running) gets really quiet.
On my gauges, the low side is being pulled down to as low a vacuum as my gauges will read.

I did some digging online and decided it must be a clogged dryer, so I got some parts ordered for that. But I just cant resist messing with stuff like this, so I kept poking at it.

I then noticed that the evap coil is freezing up, or should I say the point where the cap tube joins up to the coil is freezing up... At first you can hear just a bit of coolant going through the line, but there's a lot of hiss and popping to the sound, then eventually it just stops.
At that point, I can hit that join with the heat gun and it starts back up for a few seconds to a minute or to. But always stops back up right there.

So my question is this, am I on the right track with the dryer, or am I looking at something stuck in the end of that stupid CAP tube? Or something else entirely?

If it's the cap tube, how on earth do you fix that? It's soldered all the way down the low pressure line...

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.