Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mirage52  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:49:13 AM(UTC)
Mirage52

Groups: Registered

Hello. I have an EdgeStar BR2000SS mini-fridge. Early in March, I plugged it in before I went to sleep to get cold since I was planning to get a new keg in the morning. When I checked the fridge in the morning, it was warm. I read about non-cooling fridges and started with the compressor relay. I removed it and shook it, and alas...there was a rattle inside indicating it was bad. I went to a local appliance parts shop and bought a relay that may not have been identical to the one that went bad. I took it home, put it on, plugged in the fridge and there was a light buzzing, but the fridge never got cold. Overnight, the compressor got really hot. So I unplugged the unit and ordered an exact replacement for the relay and waited 3 weeks for the part to arrive from China. In the meantime, I checked the compressor windings with a multi-meter and I got correct readings indicating that the compressor was still OK. When the relay arrived, I put it on, plugged it in...and still nothing. No buzzing, no clicking...nothing. Completely dead.

Now I am wondering if I should have gone and ordered a replacement for the Compressor Thermal Overload Protector since it was so cheap. Could a bad overload protector cause a fridge to not turn on at all? I'd have to likely wait another 3 weeks for it to arrive so I am wondering if that is even worth it.

So I am now wondering if the first replacement relay burned up the compressor. I left it on overnight, and the compressor got very hot, which leads me to believe the overload protector never shut it down.

So could a relay and overload protector go bad at the same time? Is the compressor dead?

Please help! I am close to junking this unit but I would love to resurrect it...I only got to enjoy 2 kegs in the fridge before it died. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mirage52  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:11:47 AM(UTC)
Mirage52

UPDATE

I bought a hard start kit and installed it. The fridge fired up right away and I thought it was fixed, but I kept checking on it and it wasn't getting cold after like 3 hrs. I touched the compressor, it was hot...could barely put my hand on it.

So my guess is the compressor is bad. Nothing else I can really do so this thing is probably on its way to the dump.
cbmserviceguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:22:08 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Sounds like a coolant leak. Likely all the coolant leaked out which in turn caused the machine to constantly run the compressor and burn up the relay. The other option is that there is a restriction in the sealed system not allowing coolant to circulate. Edgestar and Summit are both questionable in their sealed system performance. If the compressor is running, but it's not cooling at all, it's absolutely a sealed system problem and not worth the money to repair it. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully there wasn't a keg in it that got skunked!
Mirage52  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:34:39 PM(UTC)
Mirage52

Originally Posted by: cbmserviceguy Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like a coolant leak. Likely all the coolant leaked out which in turn caused the machine to constantly run the compressor and burn up the relay. The other option is that there is a restriction in the sealed system not allowing coolant to circulate. Edgestar and Summit are both questionable in their sealed system performance. If the compressor is running, but it's not cooling at all, it's absolutely a sealed system problem and not worth the money to repair it. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully there wasn't a keg in it that got skunked!

I haven't noticed any leaks since I've had the fridge, although it was used before I got it. For a few months it cooled just fine, matter of fact it was awesome at cooling!

After my last keg was finished I unplugged it for a month and then when I went to get another keg I plugged it in and thats when the trouble started. Thankfully there was no keg in there when it died.
cbmserviceguy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:55:59 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Coolant leaks aren't generally visible. Especially slow ones. It could also be a restriction, likely at the filter drier. Either way, defiantly a sealed system problem. I do a lot of warranty work for edgestar and summit and they just replace units with sealed system problems. Only sealed system work I get into anymore is on high end built in units like Northland and Subzero. Unfortunately, in today's world the answer is more often replace it than fix it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply