Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wingernet  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:41:43 PM(UTC)
Wingernet

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Side by Side - The front dispenser panel began acting erratically and then stopped functioning all together. All panel lights went out. Water and ice will not dispense. The refrigerator and internal lights continued to function as normal. I replaced the control board and the interface dispenser asm with the parts noted below. The front dispenser panel still does not function. Other than the dispensor panel not working, the refrigerator is working fine. Any help on next steps would be appreciated.

Main control board
Part Number: WR55X10942

INTERFACE DISPENSER ASM
Part Number: WR55X10859
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bran9133  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 2:00:20 AM(UTC)
bran9133

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wingernet Go to Quoted Post
I have a GE Side by Side - The front dispenser panel began acting erratically and then stopped functioning all together. All panel lights went out. Water and ice will not dispense. The refrigerator and internal lights continued to function as normal. I replaced the control board and the interface dispenser asm with the parts noted below. The front dispenser panel still does not function. Other than the dispensor panel not working, the refrigerator is working fine. Any help on next steps would be appreciated.

Main control board
Part Number: WR55X10942

INTERFACE DISPENSER ASM
Part Number: WR55X10859

Sorry I do not have a solution to your problem, but I wanted to suggest another area of investigation. I have the identical problem with a side-by-side. I recently replaced the water filter with the recommended filter bypass plug and I am wondering if this had anything to do with the problem. Did you do anything to your water filter around the time this problem started?
adayton  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:24:59 AM(UTC)
adayton

Originally Posted by: bran9133 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry I do not have a solution to your problem, but I wanted to suggest another area of investigation. I have the identical problem with a side-by-side. I recently replaced the water filter with the recommended filter bypass plug and I am wondering if this had anything to do with the problem. Did you do anything to your water filter around the time this problem started?

I am having the same symptoms ... My wife recommended changing the filter (or asked when I had done it) ... I dismissed it as not having anything to do with the issue ... but I am having second thoughts ... I am going to replace the filter (because it is due) and see if that solves the issue ...
A little more info on this issue is that on mine, some of the control panel lights work (or seem to) and when I cycle the power (unplug for 30 seconds or so and plug back in), it will sit and cycle through the four 0's that usually indicate temps in the freezer and fridge 7 times ... then it flashes all four 0's for 15 iterations ... then it starts the process all over again ... Sometimes this goes on for (it seems) forever until it settles down and the 'normal' lights light up and it may or may not dispense ice and water (BTW, the dispensing of ice and water are the issue) When it dispenses ice and/or water, it may only do so for a couple uses ... then it just does nothing when the lever is engaged either for ice or for water.
Anyway, I will report back here what I find by replacing the filter ...
The next course of action (if that does not work) will be to replace the motherboard (don't really want to ... at almost a $200.00 part)
Thanx for listening to me...
Allan
bran9133  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2016 10:04:25 AM(UTC)
bran9133

The problem has nothing to do with the motherboard nor the dispenser panel. The water filter also is not causing the problem. (I too replaced mine with a bypass.)

The solution is in the wiring that runs to the front panel ice/water dispenser. Assuming our fridges are identical, with the doors closed remove the plastic toe kick (two screws). At the bottom left you will see a trio (as I recall) of wires that pass from under the left-hand side of the unit and enter the left (freezer) door at the bottom. (The plastic water pipe to the dispenser also is here.) These wires may be wrapped in yellow tape and attached to the fridge frame with the same tape. Remove the tape.

When exposed you will see that these wires pass through a white plastic connector that cannot be unconnected. If you look closely, you will see that one of these very thin wires has probably broken or become unattached. The wires are colored so you will have no difficulty determining which wire that enters the connector belongs to which wire that exits the connector.

Cut the corresponding wire (make sure the fridge is unplugged) and attach it to the broken wire on the other side. Use yellow electrical tape to protect this connection and tape this wire to the top of the white connector (just so everything stays together). (I'm really not sure what purpose the connector serves. In any case, you cannot buy a replacement.)

Using generous applications of the same yellow tape, bind the entire trio of wires and the plastic connector together. Then attach it to the fridge frame as it was before you started so it will not break or become worn when you open the fridge door repeatedly.

This should solve your problem.

While the dispenser panel is removed, take a look at the solenoid mounted beside it that controls the chute through which the ice exits. If yours is like mine, it probably is rusted and should be replaced, a very simple job.
thanks 2 users thanked bran9133 for this useful post.
jjk73 on 8/26/2020(UTC), Boltfan on 2/18/2022(UTC)
Galit  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 5:54:14 PM(UTC)
Galit

So..... I have this ongoing problem with the water dispenser. The water tube/pipe keeps popping out of place. Today it happened again and I put it back (open cover, release few screws, play with tube till its in place, close it back). This time after "fixing it" whenever we try to dispense water, at the same time ice maker crushes ice which then overflow inside door. And when we try to dispense ice, water comes out as well..... I believe it's a wiring problem. Some how in the back of the control panel the wires are touching or something...
Any idea /advice on how to solve this? Many thanks!!! G
bran9133  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:59:07 AM(UTC)
bran9133

Originally Posted by: Galit Go to Quoted Post
So..... I have this ongoing problem with the water dispenser. The water tube/pipe keeps popping out of place. Today it happened again and I put it back (open cover, release few screws, play with tube till its in place, close it back). This time after "fixing it" whenever we try to dispense water, at the same time ice maker crushes ice which then overflow inside door. And when we try to dispense ice, water comes out as well..... I believe it's a wiring problem. Some how in the back of the control panel the wires are touching or something...
Any idea /advice on how to solve this? Many thanks!!! G

Take a look at the solenoid that controls the ice dispenser hopper, which is mounted in the door-mounted dispenser cavity. It's usually about the size of a shot glass.

After a few years of use it can become rusted and gunked up. It's easy to remove and cheap to replace. Even if it does not solve your problem, it is an electrical part that can become faulty after sitting in all that moisture.

Good luck!
adayton  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:02:13 AM(UTC)
adayton

Originally Posted by: bran9133 Go to Quoted Post
The problem has nothing to do with the motherboard nor the dispenser panel. The water filter also is not causing the problem. (I too replaced mine with a bypass.)

The solution is in the wiring that runs to the front panel ice/water dispenser. Assuming our fridges are identical, with the doors closed remove the plastic toe kick (two screws). At the bottom left you will see a trio (as I recall) of wires that pass from under the left-hand side of the unit and enter the left (freezer) door at the bottom. (The plastic water pipe to the dispenser also is here.) These wires may be wrapped in yellow tape and attached to the fridge frame with the same tape. Remove the tape.

When exposed you will see that these wires pass through a white plastic connector that cannot be unconnected. If you look closely, you will see that one of these very thin wires has probably broken or become unattached. The wires are colored so you will have no difficulty determining which wire that enters the connector belongs to which wire that exits the connector.

Cut the corresponding wire (make sure the fridge is unplugged) and attach it to the broken wire on the other side. Use yellow electrical tape to protect this connection and tape this wire to the top of the white connector (just so everything stays together). (I'm really not sure what purpose the connector serves. In any case, you cannot buy a replacement.)

Using generous applications of the same yellow tape, bind the entire trio of wires and the plastic connector together. Then attach it to the fridge frame as it was before you started so it will not break or become worn when you open the fridge door repeatedly.

This should solve your problem.

While the dispenser panel is removed, take a look at the solenoid mounted beside it that controls the chute through which the ice exits. If yours is like mine, it probably is rusted and should be replaced, a very simple job.

Bran1933 ... I will investigate further into what you have described as being the problem ... I have some doubts though as the problem is really sporadic ... and it seems to 'fix' it when I cycle the power ... I have also wiggled the wires you mentioned while it is in working state with no change in the behavior ... It continues to work when I do this ... I will also try doing the same thing when it 'goes on the fritz' again to see if that helps then ...
BTW, since posting this, and the power was cycled about the same time, it has been working flawlessly now for a couple days.
Thanx for your insight and I will continue to pursue this as time goes on.
Also, where did you get your bypass? I would like to do that as well because I am running my feed line through a 'household type' filter before it hits the refrigerator and really don't need to replace the filter in the fridge when I have that...
Thanx again for your help...
Allan
Carfire71  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:18:00 PM(UTC)
Carfire71

I have a GE Profile PSS26SGRC SS with Arctica ice maker not working. After my intermittent problem (lights on front panel would go out when trying to use any function water or ice) turned into not working at all, I pulled the two Phillips screws and removed the plastic guard under both side by side doors. I found a broken wire at the small black connector under the left side door. Thanks for the heads up on this problem!
Blumeau  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 12:50:25 PM(UTC)
Blumeau

United States

Solved, GE freezer panel not working or intermittent. Found wires in connector at lower left corner of freezer door, (remove grate), had corroded and white wire was completely dissolved. Replaced connectors with 3 small gauge butt crimps. Back to Normal operation.
Patrick131  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 5:16:41 PM(UTC)
Patrick131

United States

THANK YOU ALL!! My ice maker would not work, all control panel lights would go out when trying to get ice, gradually getting worse. I replaced the solenoid first, it needed it as it was badly corroded but did not fix it the problem. I found the corroded wire connector under the hinge of the freezer door. I cut out the corroded white plastic connector and joined black to black, blue to blue and red to white. Back to 100%
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply