Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skidunkel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:38:25 PM(UTC)
Skidunkel

Groups: Registered

I have noticed my refrigerator / freezer not cooling right the last few days. I can hear the compressor running, not real loud, The fan is blowing but does have a slight wobbley sound to it kind of a quiet chirp. I have to keep turning the dial up to coldest setting. Tonight I had it up all the way. Is this something that is an easy fix or should I be looking into a new fridge?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:34:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You may be looking at a new fridge but I cannot tell from the info you give.

A model number would be helpful.

Is the compressor cycling as it should or is it on all the time?

If it does cycle but the unit is too warm then it may be a thermostat problem.

If the compressor is on all the time except when it goes through a defrost cycle, remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.

They should have a fairly even coating of frost on them.

If they are iced/frosted over to the point that the fan cannot pull air through them then it is a defrost problem and this should be repairable at a reasonable cost.

If there is just frost in one area usually where the freon enters the coils then it is a sealed system problem. This will be an expensive repair and usually it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new uniot.

Be sure that the compressor has run for at least 20 minutes, if you do this test just after or during a defrost cycle you may end up with the wrong diagnosis.

Also check the evaporator/freezer fan. if iot is running slow then it will not pull sufficient air through the coils and therefore the freezer will not cool properly (compressor will run all the time).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Skidunkel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:25:41 AM(UTC)
Skidunkel

The model number is : FRT21IL6JMO

It seems like it is cycling like it's supposed to. I will have to check the coils. It may not be blowing the air through as hard as it used to. Compressor was on when I got the model number. I did pull the fridge out and took the back panel off. There was a lot of dust on the coils in the back. I tried to clean off as best I could.

Update: I opened the fridge earlier and hear a faint clicking sound coming from behind the light area. I decided to turn the setting back to the normal recommended setting and then it came on a couple mins later. I still have to pull the panel to check the coils in the freezer part. Definitely didn't feel like very good air flow and the stuff I do have in the freezer was all getting a coating of frost on it. It cold enough outside so I'm going to set the food out for now so I can get to the panel.
Skidunkel  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:26:36 PM(UTC)
Skidunkel

Attempted to take the panel off the back inside the freezer. I can't get the first part off that just has tabs going into the back wall. I can however see ice that looks like it's dripping off the coils behind the panel. If I lightly push on the back wall/panel I can hear ice crunching on both sides so I'm assuming that the coils have iced over. The fans are running at this point and the compressor sounds fine. Hopefully you can help with the info I have provided.
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:24:32 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire FRT21IL6JM0 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]I can't get the first part off[/COLOR]
I am not sure whet part you are talking about.

Below is a link to a manual. You will have to join the site and be logged in to be able to download it.
http://appliancejunk.com...wnloads;sa=view;down=300

In case you cannot get the cover off....
Try to force a defrost cycle.
Turn the defrost timer cam till the fans shut off.
You should now be in defrost.
Check to see if the ice is melting off the coils.
The unit should come out of defrost after about 30 minutes.
If it does not come out of defrost, once you feel that the ice has melted off then turn the cam some more so the unit goes back into cooling mode.

If the defrost works then the defrost timer is bad and should be replaced.

If it does not defrost then you have to get at the evaporator coils as either the defrost heater or the defrost thermostat is bad.

Note be cafefull when forcing a defrost cycle.
Since the evaporator is now frozen over make sure that the heater does not stay on too long and overheat the plastic evaporator cover. Also keep an eye on the drip tray under the unit so it does not overflow.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply