Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jkon2  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 3:33:52 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Groups: Registered

I purchased a new Whirlpool Refrigerator, Model: WRT311FZDT00. The refrigerator is now four months old. Right from the get go the freezer section started building up ice and frost in the rear of the freezer and on the inside of the freezer door. The dealer was already out to the house replacing the door on the refrigerator section because they scratched it on delivery. I should have said get it out of the house at that time. The dealer came out again and said we need a new freezer door because the door gasket is sagging at the bottom portion of door. Door was ordered. Waited six weeks for door to come in. When door finally came in it was wrong color. They have to order new door again...another six weeks. He said doors are made to order. I called and spoke with owner of store where we purchased the frig. I was appalled when he didn't seem to care and said for me to call Whirlpool. After giving him a piece of my mind owner said he didn't believe the door gasket was the problem and said he was going to send out his top repairman. He arrived and said the recommended settings on the refrigerator are not always correct. He made an adjustment even though the freezer was running at 0 degrees and the frig at 38 degrees. He also applied silicone to the four corners of the freezer frame where he said he noticed some small gaps. I seriously doubted what he was saying and doing was going to "fix" the problem....and it did NOT. My wife was home when he came and I was not. If I were home, I would have told him that he was NOT going to apply silicone to a brand new refrigerator. Some of our frozen food is not looking to good...ice forming almost like freezer burn. I did call Whirlpool customer service last week and the phone rep at first didn't seem to care but when she found out the frig was purchased new and was only four months old she seemed to have an attitude change and took some interest. I told her I had pictures and she asked me to e-mail them to her which I did. I told her I either wanted my money back or a new refrigerator. She said it will take 3-5 days for a decision to be made. I have a feeling I will not be hearing back from her.

What the heck do I do? Am I getting the run around from both dealer and Whirlpool? I think I am finding out that Whirlpool customer satisfaction may not be the greatest. Can someone point me in the right direction...next step to take? Is demanding my money back or a new refrigerator out of line? Is it out of the dealer's hands? Doesn't sound like the dealer is going to replace my frig because he said as soon as there is a problem, everyone wants a new frig. Thanks so much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jkon2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:25:22 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Service tech replaced the freezer door at 9AM yesterday morning. So far this morning it hasn't made a difference but I guess I'll have to give it a few days. If the door/gasket was the problem, should the ice and frost clear up by itself?
jkon2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:50:24 AM(UTC)
jkon2

OK the service tech replaced the freezer door on Oct. 29. I cleaned off the ice/frost from the rear and inside right after he left. The freezer is again starting to build up ice/frost in rear and inside door. Now what do I do?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:32:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I can only suggest a couple things to try.

1. Take a bowl of ice cubes and put them in the freezer for 3 days or so.
Then check them if they are all stuck together this points to a problem where the freezer is getting too warm sometimes. Often this can occur on the defrost cycle. This would also generate additional moisture in the freezer which would then condense on the walls etc.

2. Take a two inch wide strip of paper Place it between the door seal and the unit's frame. Then pull it out to see how well the door is sealing. Do this every 6 inches or so around the door.
Also check that the hinge side of the seal is not grabbing and twisting when the door closes. If it is a light coating of white lithium greaser or vaseline usually fixes this.

There is always a possibility that the frame is bent so the door will never seal.
The only way to get this corrected is to work with your dealer and Whirlpool.

I am assuming that the unit has already been checked for level front to back and side to side.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jkon2  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:12:12 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Yep...called Whirlpool this morning. Whirlpool is sending out a different repair place to get second opinion...they called it their preferred service. They will be coming tomorrow. In the meantime Whirlpool said they are sending me a $50.00 Visa gift card for my inconvenience. I told them thanks but all I really want is my frig fixed or a replacement.
victorpalmer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:31:53 PM(UTC)
victorpalmer

I suggest you talk to the dealer once again and see if it works. I am sure the dealer will solve your issue soon.
jkon2  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 4:01:22 AM(UTC)
jkon2

OK...a new service man stopped by last week to have a look. He took off the back cover of the freezer compartment and said only half of my freezer coil is getting cold. He said he just learned about this a couple weeks ago at a service school he attended. He said it was sort of a manufacturing slip up. Said something about a tube being too long and the production line just stuffed the excess tube back there. So he has to discharge system then cut a section of small tube out and re-braze then charge the system back up. He claims this procedure is going to fix the refrigerator. Not really happy about this having to be done to a brand new refrigerator. What would make me happy is a brand new refrigerator but for all I know a brand new one (Whirlpool) might have the same problem because he said thousands of them could have been manufactured with the same problem until Whirlpool caught it and made a change on the production line. All I know is this has been 5 months of a fiasco with this refrigerator and Whirlpool service and customer service. Just can't believe that Whirlpool's choice was to sink so much $$ in parts, labor and service calls. Just can't see where that was a economical good choice for them rather that to just replace the frig from the get go. And now they have definitely lost a future customer for sure! Oh well...I guess this is just another example of the new generation thinking.
jkon2  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 4:01:33 AM(UTC)
jkon2

OK...a new service man stopped by last week to have a look.
jkon2  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 4:04:22 AM(UTC)
jkon2

OK does this sound legitimate? A new service man stopped by last week to have a look. He took off the back cover of the freezer compartment and said only half of my freezer coil is getting cold. He said he just learned about this a couple weeks ago at a service school he attended. He said it was sort of a manufacturing slip up. Said something about a tube being too long and the production line just stuffed the excess tube back there. So he has to discharge system then cut a section of small tube out and re-braze then charge the system back up. He claims this procedure is going to fix the refrigerator. Not really happy about this having to be done to a brand new refrigerator. What would make me happy is a brand new refrigerator but for all I know a brand new one (Whirlpool) might have the same problem because he said thousands of them could have been manufactured with the same problem until Whirlpool caught it and made a change on the production line. All I know is this has been 5 months of a fiasco with this refrigerator and Whirlpool service and customer service. Just can't believe that Whirlpool's choice was to sink so much $$ in parts, labor and service calls. Just can't see where that was a economical good choice for them rather that to just replace the frig from the get go. And now they have definitely lost a future customer for sure! Oh well...I guess this is just another example of the new generation thinking.
denman  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 1:02:57 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot really comment on what the service tech said but have no reason to doubt them.

I would approach Whirlpool and try to get them to extend your warranty for another year.
If you succeed be sure to get it in writing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply