Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbradenfl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:36:28 AM(UTC)
mbradenfl

Groups: Registered

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator with the ice maker in the top refrigerator section. Both the freezer and refrigerator sections are working fine and maintaining set temperature. However, after the ice cubes are made and dispensed they are melting in the ice cube compartment. In reading other posts it appears there may be a fan that moves the lower compartment freezer air into the ice maker section that may not be fully functioning or the duct from the bottom to the top is obstructed. I;ve checked to make sure nothing is blocking the chute in the freezer section. I have not had any luck finding the location of this fan on any drawings or the part numbers. Any idea how I locate the fan and troubleshoot or could there be a different issue. FYI, I'm ten days past the warranty. :( Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

finzi  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 5:05:53 AM(UTC)
finzi

I have come up upon the same problem with my Samsung French door fridge.... the ice maker (in the fresh food compartment... yes, bad design) has suddenly started to leak. The ice cubes get slushy, especially toward the front of the chute. It drips out the chute and fills the evaporator tray.

My son mistakenly shut off the ice make last week and we didn't notice until the next day. Could this have caused leaking that froze around the fan? When we initially turned the ice maker back on, there was a loud buzzing grinding noise that might have been the fan trying to turn back on. Since then, the melting continues....

ANy advice? I've heard to defrost the entire fridge manually... or to use a hair dryer to melt and dry out the fan.... but, I also have no idea where the fan is located. It does not show on the exploded parts schematics.

Help! I an afraid that if I call a repairman there's a big chance they will want to replace other parts unnecessarily. I've done a lot of repairs on my last side by side fridge--a Frigidaire... but this Samsung looks like a beast to get into for repairs. Even the left door is in the way!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
mbradenfl  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 5:57:24 AM(UTC)
mbradenfl

The fan is located on top of the Auger assembly. It's located in the very back of the ice maker compartment. Since my post I replaced the Auger assembly, entire Ice Maker and the circuit board. The ice maker developed multiple issues including not dumping the ice. Found the infrared LED was weak (also on the Auger assembly) making it think the ice bucket was full of ice.

Everything worked perfect including no slushy ice for about month. Just this week the slushy ice and dripping returned. I also suspect there is an ice blockage or fan failure and will be removing the Auger assembly to take a look. I'll post with my findings.

Good luck.
mbradenfl  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:12:43 PM(UTC)
mbradenfl

I found an ice dam between the auger assembly and the ice maker assembly. I took a hair dryer on medium heat and melted the ice. The air from the fan circulates the cold air within the ice maker compartment. On my model the air circulation does not go down to the bottom freezer to get the cold air. Since it was blocked the compartment warmed resulting in melting ice. Not sure why the buildup keeps occurring but I'll investigate further. At least I know how to fix it going forward.

Also, I did put the unit in a manual defrost mode by following tips I found online and a service manual I had purchased. Not sure if this is necessary to help clear the ice dam but may have sped up the process.

Good luck.
finzi  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 7:38:30 AM(UTC)
finzi

I managed to get my ice maker working again, by defrosting and drying out the inside and back of the ice maker compartment with a hair dryer. I think the problem started when my son mistakenly shut off the ice maker (easy to do if you just lean on the control panel)... things melted, then froze again when I tried to restart it. I suspect there is a sensor that might have gotten frozen over too.

The ice is still not bone dry when dispensing.... I think this is due to the poor design of the unit. It doesn't make sense putting an icemaker in the fresh food compartment of a fridge. There are slight gaps all around the ice make, and because of the clunky (just shove it in to latch) design of the ice tray, the tray can't possibly make a tight seal all around the front of the thing... there is a definite gap at the top. I checked the area on the bottom left for a gap, and although there's no large gap, there is a _slight_ gap about the thickness of a piece of paper. I'm not sure how everything else is sealed up on the back side or inner side.

Anyway, it's making ice again. They are still a bit wet looking when they come out. They still are poorly shaped. And it still takes forever to fill a tall glass 1/3 of the way up with ice (How's 210-30 seconds!)

I would never recommend that anyone ever buy a fridge that has the icemaker in the fresh food compartment. I feel like an idiot that I didn't catch that when I saw the unit in the store!

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the help/I managed to get my ice maker working again, by defrosting and drying out the inside and back of the ice maker compartment with a hair dryer. I think the problem started when my son mistakenly shut off the ice maker (easy to do if you just lean on the control panel)... things melted, then froze again when I tried to restart it. I suspect there is a sensor that might have gotten frozen over too.

The ice is still not bone dry when dispensing.... I think this is due to the poor design of the unit. It doesn't make sense putting an icemaker in the fresh food compartment of a fridge. There are slight gaps all around the ice make, and because of the clunky (just shove it in to latch) design of the ice tray, the tray can't possibly make a tight seal all around the front of the thing... there is a definite gap at the top. I checked the area on the bottom left for a gap, and although there's no large gap, there is a _slight_ gap about the thickness of a piece of paper. I'm not sure how everything else is sealed up on the back side or inner side.

Anyway, it's making ice again. They are still a bit wet looking when they come out. They still are poorly shaped. And it still takes forever to fill a tall glass 1/3 of the way up with ice (How's 210-30 seconds!)

Thanks for the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply