Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bunch  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 3:22:10 PM(UTC)
Bunch

Groups: Registered

My fridge was working fine until a few days ago when it suddenly stop making ice. Call a service company out and the repair men told me at first that the ice maker assembly needed to be replaced. Then he kept checking further and found that the evaporator has ice build up and the told me proceeded to tell me that the compressor needed repair. He suggested I get a new fridge due to the cost of repair but in my case is really not cost effective since I will be selling the house and the appliances are staying. Anyways I just want to see if anyone here has had this similar issue and if the compressor diagnostic is a common diagnostic. Since he gave me 2 different diagnostics in a matter of minutes and just a bit worried that I end up paying for something that wont fix the problem. Thanks in advance for your help :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:57:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire FFHS2622MSA / Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://manuals.frigidaire.com/p...f/Anderson/240389639.pdf

NOTE: I am assuming that the compressor runs all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle. You can usually hear it but also should be able to feel it vibrating.
If the compressor is cycling on and off more or less normally then it is not a defrost or a sealed system problem.

[COLOR="Blue"]Then he kept checking further and found that the evaporator has ice build up[/COLOR]
It depends on what you mean by ice build up.
If the evaporator coils where clogged solid with ice/frost then it is a defrost problem.
This prevents the evaporator/freezer fan from pulling air through the coils so the freezer temperature rises. This then can stop the production of ice because it has to be down around 0 to 5 degrees F to produce ice efficiently.

[COLOR="Blue"]and the told me proceeded to tell me that the compressor needed repair[/COLOR]
If it is a defrost problem then the compressor does not need replacement.
If the evaporator/freezer coils had frost only in one area then it is probably a sealed system problem and I also would suggest getting a new unit.

I would check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils.
It should be a fairly even coating.
Make sure that the compressor has run for at least half an hour before doing this. If you do it during or shortly after a defrost cycle then you may come up with the wrong diagnosis.
Also check that the evaporator/freezer fan is running.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Since he gave me 2 different diagnostics in a matter of minutes and just a bit worried that I end up paying for something that wont fix the problem. [/COLOR]
It all depends what he did to diagnose the problem.
A raised freezer temperature will stop ice production but there can be a number of causes of this.
Unless you can see the evaporator coils through the vents he would have had to remove the cover inthe freezer to diagnose a sealed system/compressor problem or he would have had to attach gauges to the compressor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Bunch  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:16:12 AM(UTC)
Bunch

Quote:
"It depends on what you mean by ice build up.
If the evaporator coils where clogged solid with ice/frost then it is a defrost problem.
This prevents the evaporator/freezer fan from pulling air through the coils so the freezer temperature rises. This then can stop the production of ice because it has to be down around 0 to 5 degrees F to produce"

From what he showed Im pretty positive that it was solid ice buildup. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the fridge its not cooling as it was either. Getting a nee unit to me is really not cost effective since I will be selling this house next week and the appliance is staying but I also dont want to give the new homeowner a deffective appliance.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:32:40 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Double check that it is a solid ice build up.

If it is a defrost problem it is usually a fairly easy and not too expensive fix.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Bunch  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:57:40 AM(UTC)
Bunch

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Double check that it is a solid ice build up.

If it is a defrost problem it is usually a fairly easy and not too expensive fix.

Funny thing... Someone from the company just called me (sounded like a boss of some sort) he told me that the service repair dude that came to the house showed him some pictures of the solid ice build up and describe to him the fridge symptoms. He said that he doesnt think is a compressor issue, he mention like a blockage of some sort or the defrost system as you mentioned. (Leaning heavily on blockage)

The "boss" dude is coming tomorrow to further check and fix :) I will update with whatever comes out ... Thanks for your help here... This place is awesome...
Bunch  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:31:05 PM(UTC)
Bunch

Final update.

The service dude and the "boss" man came yesterday to the house. They worked on the evaporator with a heat gun to eliminate the ice build up and also on the back of the fridge but I dont know exactly what they worked on. I know they brought an air compressor of sorts, a tool that had gauges and hoses and a gas tank of sorts.

While one guy worked in the front with the heat gun the other was releasing the gas the fridge had a like replenishing to like "normal" levels. Boss dude told me the freezer side temperature was below normal and when that happens it wont make ice.

Fridge is working back to normal. Total cost of repair $213.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply