Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pat Ann  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:51:16 PM(UTC)
Pat Ann

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator will dispense water when the selector switch is in either the water or crushed ice position and the dispensing button is pushed. When the selector is in the cubed ice position, neither water nor ice is dispensed when the dispensing button is pushed. When the selector switch is in either the crushed ice or cubed ice position, and the dispensing button is pushed, I can hear the ice dispenser flapper open. It will close after a few seconds, after the dispensing button is released. The ice dispensing auger does not turn no matter what position the selector switch is in. A repairman tried replacing the WR55X129 module without success. He is at a loss now. Is there some other relay or interlock that is not functioning correctly? Can you help? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:26:32 PM(UTC)
CletusT

These models have a problem with the auger drive cup breaking. You can try taking the whole ice bin/ auger assembly out, and turning the metal drive coupler by hand to ensure the motor isn't locked up.
Some models have an interlock where the ice mechanism will not function with the door open, so if a door/ light switch gets bad, it could cause it not to work.
When the whole bin assembly is slid into it's position, make sure the long metal rod fits into it's slot at the back of the freezer.
Pat Ann  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:12:16 PM(UTC)
Pat Ann

Originally Posted by: CletusT Go to Quoted Post
These models have a problem with the auger drive cup breaking. You can try taking the whole ice bin/ auger assembly out, and turning the metal drive coupler by hand to ensure the motor isn't locked up.
Some models have an interlock where the ice mechanism will not function with the door open, so if a door/ light switch gets bad, it could cause it not to work.
When the whole bin assembly is slid into it's position, make sure the long metal rod fits into it's slot at the back of the freezer.

Help me understand why a broken auger drive cup would make water dispense when the selector switch is set in the crushed ice position. I fail to see the correlation.
CletusT  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:22:23 PM(UTC)
CletusT

"The ice dispensing auger does not turn no matter what position the selector switch is in."
My reference to the ice auger drive cup is in reply to the above quoted portion of your rather confusing description of the recurring issue with your machine.
Pat Ann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:33:15 AM(UTC)
Pat Ann

So, from your reply, can I assume you have no ideas why water would be dispensed when the selector switch is in the Crushed Ice position, yet the ice flapper will open? My description was intended to be a complete description of everything that happens when the selector switch is put into anyone of the three possible position. In no positions does the ice auger turn and neither does the ice auger motor run. Sorry for any confusion.
CletusT  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:42:25 AM(UTC)
CletusT

You can assume that with no working auger, there will be no ice dispensed.
Pat Ann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:09:11 PM(UTC)
Pat Ann

I agree that if the auger doesn't turn, obviously, no ice will be dispensed. The much bigger issue is, why is water being dispensed when the selector switch is in the crushed ice position? If this were simply an inoperative ice auger issue, nothing would happen when the selector switch is in the crushed ice position it seems to me, but, something is happening. Water is being dispensed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply