Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jensenra  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 4:56:20 PM(UTC)
jensenra

Groups: Registered

I ordered a compressor start device and capacitor based on what a parts associate had told me would be compatible with my fridges model number. I was skeptical because it looked different but went with it anyway assuming parts evolve as years go by. well aside from the two parts looking different the plug will not fit the new start device. Now I believe I am looking at the overload device housed inside the start device. It is removable. Other than that I also believe the only other significance is the capacitor. Otherwise the start device is only a plug. Am I correct in assuming this? My other question is are the overloads rated different from another? I see no difference in the "overload" on the old start device and the new device, nor any ratings on either. Can I just cut the existing plug off and use wire connectors to slide onto the start device terminals? Finally I'm only changing these parts on the chance they are the problem. I don't hear the compressor running and it is hot to the touch. The resistance readings of the compressor itself seem to be within spec. Thanks for any input.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jon.wilob  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:36:16 PM(UTC)
jon.wilob

The capacitor must be the proper rating. The start device is a relay and takes the capacitor out of the circuit when the compressor motor has reached the proper rpm. When you say the resistance of the compressor winding's are within spec. post those readings please. The overload device just senses heat and opens the circuit when the compressor gets too hot. Your problem could very well be a bad cap., burned start relay contacts, a bad compressor or low voltage at the receptacle feeding the fridge. Have you checked the cap with your ohm-meter? Have you taken a voltage reading at the supply receptacle when the fridge is trying to start? Are the ufd's of the replacement cap the same as the original? Don't allow that compressor to get too hot or you'll be replacing it! Post a little more info. and maybe we can get 'ya going.
jon.wilob  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:36:19 PM(UTC)
jon.wilob

Post Deleted
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply