Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RexPFur  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:32:16 PM(UTC)
RexPFur

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator outside walls were getting hot so I pulled it out and opened the back panel and saw that the condenser fan was not spinning. So I removed the fan and plugged it back in and to my surprise it started spinning. So then I put the fan back in the refrigerator and it did not work. Again I removed it and plugged it in and it worked. Arrg so I put it back in the refrigerator and it worked. Alas I thought it was fixed. But then after 1 day it stopped spinning.

So something is obviously amiss. It is either a bad fan motor or the fan is getting no voltage. The plug to the fan has small holes that I can not see the electrodes and cannot stick in my meter probes. The pins on the fan are small, maybe ~#24AWG so I am afraid to stick wires in to check the voltage. I suppose I could strip the wires then tape them back up. So I find it extremely difficult to check whether voltage is getting to fan.

So my question is if I just replace the fan and what is the chance it fixes the problem? What is the most likely failure? I could call a repairman but I can buy a fan for $60 and take a chance it fixes the issue. Has anyone had any similar issues?

A final dumb question. how do I remove the fan blade from the motor? I do not see a screw so does it just pull off? How would I put it back on?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 2:36:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would do whatever you have to confirm that the fan is getting voltage and is therefore bad.

If you strip the wires do it at two points that are not opposite each other that way they cannot short to each other.
When I tape up wires I usually put a small zip tie over the tape. that way it can never come off.

The parts diagram shows that there is a screw on the end of the fan motor shaft which holds the blade on..

Looks like the original fan is obsolete so you need the below kit.
Click on the picture for more info on it.
Part number: AP4318657
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
RexPFur  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:03:41 PM(UTC)
RexPFur

OK I checked the voltage there is no voltage to the fan. Any ideas what else it could be?
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:36:36 AM(UTC)
denman

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Since the fan is run by the control board odds are it is shot.

Unfortunately it looks like this part is obsolete but I would check this with a parts representative.
I know there are companies out there that repair control boards for ovens but I am not sure about fridge control boards.

Another possibility would be to jiggery pokery a fix by hard wiring in the fan.
Problem is that it would run all the time.
You could also wire in a thermostat that turns it on when the compressor area gets too warm. I do not know what that temperature would be.
File Attachment(s):
KSBS25.pdf (822kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
kiheilesley  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:28:26 PM(UTC)
kiheilesley

I have an Electrolux Icon refrigerator...(made by Frigidaire)
I had a similar problem, the ice maker quit working, and I found it was in protect mode because the freezer temperature was too warm. After removing the back of the fridge, I found the condenser fan was not working. The fridge was maintaining 37 degrees, but the freezer had risen from 0 degrees to 22 degrees. I put an oscillating fan in back of the fridge and it caused the freezer temp to drop back to zero and the ice maker started working again. Meanwhile, I called Electrolux and they said 'it sounds like the condenser fan motor is burned out' , so I ordered a new one. Two weeks later, (yesterday), the motor arrived and I installed it. Unfortunately, as soon as I removed the oscillating fan the condenser fan failed to turn on and the freezer temp started to rise again. Now they are sending out a tech tomorrow, but we live about an hour from the nearest authorized appliance tech. I am wondering what my next move might be? The fridge is out of warranty and I am afraid that the tech. will want a whole new mother board? The Electrolux phone tech said if the fridge was fine and just the freezer that it wouldn't be the board.....thoughts? advice?
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 12:56:51 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]The fridge is out of warranty and I am afraid that the tech. will want a whole new mother board? The Electrolux phone tech said if the fridge was fine and just the freezer that it wouldn't be the board..[/COLOR]

You did not include a model number so I am guessing a little here.
If we assume that the replacement fan is OK then odds are that it is the motherboard not sending power to the fan.

I cannot say why the tech did not think it would be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply