Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattFlynn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:52:12 PM(UTC)
MattFlynn

Groups: Registered

A few months back my ice maker just stopped working. It went for about week of not dumping ice and then out of the blue it started working for about two days and then stopped again and never dumped anymore. At this same time I noticed that the freezer stopped freezing but it was still cold on the freezer side, but not cold enough to freeze ice cream. My refrigerator side started getting warm and I had to take items from that side and place them into the freezer side to keep them cool. I have cleaned out from under the frig and the coils. The compressor is warm and seems to be working and the fan inside the freezer is blowing. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this unit!!!! Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:28:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on this unit using the given model number.

Is the compressor running all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle?
If yes try the below.

Remove the cover in the freezer and check the evaporator coils.

If they are heavily frosted/iced over, it is probably a defrost problem and fairly easy to fix.

If there is no frost or frost only in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then it is a sealed system problem. This will be an expensive repair and often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
MattFlynn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 5:38:29 AM(UTC)
MattFlynn

I pulled off the cover and found a large chunk of ice built up on top of the coils just under the fan. It had all of the wiring frozen into it. It appears to be where the main line that runs into the coil.
MattFlynn  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 5:38:59 AM(UTC)
MattFlynn

I pulled off the cover and found a large chunk of ice built up on top of the coils just under the fan. It had all of the wiring frozen into it. It appears to be where the main line that runs into the coil.
MattFlynn  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:11:53 AM(UTC)
MattFlynn

denman  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:58:51 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Melt off the ice with a hair dryer.

Now see if the unit will come down to set point temperature and start cycling the compressor on-off.

Make sure that the evaporator-freezer fan is running when the compressor is running.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply