Discuss

replacing defrost timer refrigerator

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

(EDIT: Never mind !! -- see the NEXT post ) It finished the defrost, the timer exited to COMPRESSOR mode,

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » replacing defrost timer refrigerator

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM

bobvance is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

(EDIT: Never mind !! -- see the NEXT post
)

It finished the defrost, the timer exited to COMPRESSOR mode, having run for 30 mins.
I left the DEFROST circuit CLOSED, 'cause the timer is out of defrost mode, anyway.

However, still NO POWER to the timer, even though

. timer is in non-defrost mode

. Cold Control is *closed* (compressor & all fans running and freezer is cooling

. Defrost Bi-Metal is *closed*

So, why would the timer not be running??

bv

Last edited by bobvance : 03-13-2015 at 11:05 AM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM

!!!!!
I checked a few minutes later
(just to clean the drain pan from the previous defrost),
and
the TIMER is RUNNING !! -- in COMPRESSOR mode !!
!!!!!

So, apparently, I just had to let the compressor run for a few minutes and he did something to close a circuit to the timer.

So now I have a new timer -- OK
Will have a new thermostat -- also OK.
I just need to replace the wiring to the heater (and maybe the heater) and I should be good to go !!

Thanks for all the help so far.

I'll follow up when I have built a whole new refrigerator - haha.

bv

Last edited by bobvance : 03-13-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Quick follow-up.
Since the old freezer bi-metal thermostat seemed to be working now (after I removed it, heated and froze it a few times, and banged it around a little), and the heater is working (although with a flakey wiring connector), I decided to put the old thermo back in line and manually test the defrost cycle.

I let it run in cooling mode for while to let the thermo get to low temp.
Then I manually advanced the defrost timer defrost mode and let it run.
The heater came on and started defrosting, so the thermo was definitely closed.
I let it finish the defrost, but I didn't check whether the thermo opened up at high temp before the full 30 mins of defrost mode on the timer expired. Doesn't really matter since a brand new one is on the way in the mail.

Anyway, I left it all hooked up and let it run normally the rest of the day and overnight.
This morning I checked it and the defrost mode had just finished not too long ago and the evaporator coil was clean as a whistle.

Again, I think that I'll be good with the new thermo and heater wiring.

bv
Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM

dab147 is on a distinguished road

How did you make out?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 AM

UPDATE: All is working fine now!

I fixed the faulty heater wiring connector.
Actually, I just cut out the old connector and then used a Raychem heat-shrink DuraSeal butt connector. I also put additional heat shrink around that (belt & suspenders :>) to be sure no moisture could get in.
BTW, this was a pretty big PITA.
The heater wiring is way in back and very hard to access to get a good crimp on the connection.
Furthermore, the freezer is very narrow, so I got a good workout contorting myself sideways, with one arm above and the other one below. I think that the next time I do this to an 18-yr old fridge, I'll just strip, twist, tape, and heat-shrink and avoid trying to crimp!

I was still waiting for the new bi-metal defrost thermostat to arrive,
but in the meantime everything was working, albeit with the old thermo.

The new thermo arrived yesterday and I just installed it last evening.
Again, I used the same technique as above to connect it in.
With longer wires and being a little more in the front, it was a lot easier to deal with.

Manually tested everything -- OK.

I left it overnight and it's gone thru a full cycle on its own and it's looking good!

I'm putting it back together now.

bv
Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM

dab147 is on a distinguished road

Yeah been doing this 40 years and just retired.Those side by side can be a PITA.Keep it going as long as you can,because the new ones will be junk.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.