Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
titanxt  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 3:40:03 AM(UTC)
titanxt

Groups: Registered

Hello all. I am new to this forum and very pleased to have found a parts supplier with an active forum - thank you!

I have an 11-year old Whirlpool side by side (model ED5LHAXMB10). We began hearing the a clicking noise coming from what I thought was a bad start relay, but after replacing the start relay I believe the sound is actually coming from the control board. What is happening is that the start relay is being kicked off due to the temperature of the compressor. Unfortunately, I purchased a new start relay just to find that out...

With the new relay installed, everything was fine overnight. The next morning, I heard the start relay being kicked out when I opened the refrigerator door. Upon removing the back panel, I could feel that the compressor was very warm to the touch. I set a box up to blow air across the compressor and the coils and as soon as the temperature of the compressor cooled, operation began as normal.

I left the back panel off all night and turned the fan off. The compressor is still running as it should this morning. It kicked on for about five minutes and turned back off again. I put the back panel back on and I am not waiting to see if the heat builds up again.

I am suspecting that maybe my fan is getting lazy??? Though, I do not know for sure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Andy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

titanxt  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 6:55:13 AM(UTC)
titanxt

So far the compressor is operating normally, but I still have the back cover off and have not been running the box fan. Could possibly having the refrigerator off yesterday before replacing the start relay have caused the compressor to run a long time to cool things back off and thus the overheating?

Andy
titanxt  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 12:12:18 PM(UTC)
titanxt

So, I have the cover backonand have pushed the refrigerator back against the wall. The compressor ran fine and cooled the freezer down to 0-degrees and the fridge to 38-degrees. The compressor shut off and I thought that everything was good. I pushed the unit back against the wall. Later in the day I checked and the freezer was at 40-degrees...

The compressor did not kick back on. I had to unplug the refrigerator and plug it back in to get the compressor to start again. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Andy
titanxt  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 2:25:46 PM(UTC)
titanxt

Checked back on the refrigerator. It ran until the thermo part of the start relay starting cutting the power. I hear the clicking on and off again. Before that started I noticed that the temp of the freezer was around -5. I am guessing the thermostat that tells the compressor to shut off is bad??

Andy
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply