Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Johnso29  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
Johnso29

Groups: Registered

Hi, I've been researching this problem for a while.

Kenmore 106.56243400 Side by Side has been having following symptoms:

1. Evaporator drain freezing. Cleared the drain several times and finally installed the extension wire from the evaporator defroster (bottom coil) and extended it into the drain tube about 1.5". Evaporator coils were not iced up.

2. It seems that the drain problem may be the result of the freezer temperature stabilizing at -27 degrees F while the refrigerator is about 37 degrees F, however, occasionally there is frozen food in the refrigerator. The water line is freezing in the door, and as a result cold water from the door dispenser stops. The compressor continues to run even though the freezer temperature is too cold. Changing the freezer control to a warmer setting has no effect. Changing the refrigerator control causes the air damper to open and close.

3. I removed the refrigerator and freezer thermistors and tested their resistance at various temperatures and they seem to be in range. The resistance of the freezer thermistor, when the freezer was at -27F, was infinite.

4. When I run the diagnostic routines from the control panel, Tests 1 and 2 for the temperature sensors, the displayed indication is "3". According to the instructions, the displayed indication should be either "1" or "2". Don't know how to interpret that....

5. I ordered a control panel from an internet provider in October but didn't install it until two weeks ago because it was behaving ok after the initial diagnosis. When it started freezing up again at Christmas time, I installed the new (actually reconditioned) control panel. Since replacing the original control panel with the recon one, the freezer has been getting too cold continuously.

Do you think I am missing something or should I go ahead and order another control panel from a more reputable dealer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Johnso29
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.