Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darrennolen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:24:35 AM(UTC)
darrennolen

Groups: Registered

I have an intermittent cooling failure on a 2005 FrigidaireSide-by-side FRS23.

Two days ago I found the frozen goods melting and the refrigeratorwarm. Transferred all food into the spare fridge and began trouble shooting:

Condenser Fan = OK (on continuously)

Evaporator Fan = OK (on continuously)

Condenser Coils = dirty, but not egregiously so. Vacuumedanyways.

Evaporator Coils = Clear of ice

Checked the compressor. Put a clamp-on ammeter around thered line into the compressor. Every 60 – 90 seconds the starter would “click”and the compressor would pull 9-10 amps for 5 seconds or so, then go to zero.This cycle was observed three times and was the same each time. The compressordid not feel hot and no vibration was felt (i.e. it never appears to actually start or run).

At this point the freezer compartment was up to 50F so weput in a service call.

Refrigerator was left plugged in all day yesterday and theservice company never got back to us. Checked several times yesterday and the fans remained on and the compartment was, essentially, room temperature.

This morning I wake up to an apparently fully functioningrefrigerator. Freezer running 3F and fridge running 38F just like it should.

What the heck happened? Could this have been a bad defrosttimer or controller? Should I still have the service company come out? I hateto pay the $100, and as the unit sits now they will just say it is workingnormally.

We _think_ we might have been having intermittent coolingfailures, though of much shorter duration, for the last several weeks (say fora few hours at a time every couple of days), but that is not confirmed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.