Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mcalant  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
Mcalant

Groups: Registered

When the defrost cycle starts it runs for a couple days and totally melts everything in the freezer before the cold cycle starts again and everything refreezes.
When it's running, everything is frozen properly so it doesn't seem to be a refrigerant issue. I've turned the setting in both the refrigerator and freezer sections colder but it hasn't made a difference. I'm thinking it is the defrost timer and/or defrost thermostat. Should I just replace both or is there more troubleshooting I should do first.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 4:57:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]When the defrost cycle starts it runs for a couple days and totally melts everything in the freezer before the cold cycle starts again and everything refreezes.[/COLOR]
The defrost thermostat cannot do the above.
The way it works is that the defrost time is a fixed time usually around 30 minutes. but lets say that the frost is melted off the evaporator coils in 20 minutes, then the defrost thermostat opens. This kills power to the defrost heater and the defrost cycle continues for another 10 minutes but the heater is off..

Sounds like the defrost timer is sticking in a defrost cycle.
I would replace it.

I am assuming that the unit is inside and not in a cold area like a garage etc.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Mcalant  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 8:22:48 PM(UTC)
Mcalant

Thanks for the reply Denman.
I pulled the panel off the back of the freezer and noticed that the sides of the evaporator coils were iced up but the fan was running and the heater wasn't on. I thought it might be the heater coil but when I tested it, there was continuity. I replaced the defrost timer and turned everything back on. 24 hours later the freezer was cool but not freezing and the same section of coil was again iced up but the freezer fan was running indicating it was not in a defrost cycle.
Is there any other troubleshooting I can do or should I just replace the defrost thermostat too?
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:00:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
From your description of the frost on the coils this may not be a defrost problem.

Is the compressor running?
You can usually hear it but also should be able to feel it vibrating.

Does it run all the time other than when the unit goes through a defrost cycle?

This unit should go into a defrost cycle every 8 hours of compressor run time and it should last for 30 minutes.

If it is running all the time, remove the cover in the freezer and check the evaporator coils they should have a fairly even coating of frost on them.
If not then it is probably a sealed system problem.
This would be an expensive repair and often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

Make sure that the compressor has run at least an hour before doing this check. If you do it shortly after or during a defrost cycle then you could end up with the wrong conclusion.

Below is a link, take a look at the 3 example pictures about a third of the way down the page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ref...ator-not-cold-enough.php
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:43:55 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
my issue is ice droplets form on the top of the freezer
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply