Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChristineHakes  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 9:41:11 AM(UTC)
ChristineHakes

Groups: Registered

Our refrigerator started acting up about a month ago. The freezer side was working fine but our frig side wasn't getting cold (we went out of town and came back to a frig full of food that had to be thrown away. It was warm!) We unplugged it and cleaned the coils underneath. We let it defrost, plugged it back in, and thought it was fixed. 5-7 days later it started to warm up again. We noticed that the refrigerator would run constantly trying to cool the frig side down but we couldn't feel the air blowing into the frig side (when the freezer door was shut) through the damper control (only when we opened both doors could we feel the cold freezer air blowing into the frig side through the damper assembly?). We did some research and were pretty sure it was a Defrost Thermostat problem. We ordered and replaced this part. We plugged it back in and once again thought we fixed it, however, like clockwork, 5-7 days later the frig side started warming. We unplugged and defrosted again, and turned the temperature down from the recommended "4" setting for the freezer and the frig to a 3 and it had worked since then. I can't live with things being hardly cold so 3 days ago I turned it back up to 4 and today it's getting warm again.

I'm thinking maybe the damper assembly needs replaced but I don't understand why it would work for a little bit and stop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm in over my head!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:10:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert
Views messages in topic : 19,638

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool ED2LHAXMT00 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for a tech sheet.

Looks like the diffuser (item 15 in section 02) is just a mechanical unit so I doubt it is the problem. If you click on it's picture or description a new page will open with additional info on it (video and a Q&A).

Also the time it takes for a problem to show up points to defrost.

I would start from scratch.
When it is causing a problem remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.
If they are heavily iced/frosted over to the point where the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them, then it is a defrost problem.

Do not let them de-ice.

Manually force a defrost cycle, see the tech sheet. When the fans and compressor turn off you are in defrost.

Now check the defrost heater to see if it is on.
Be careful you do not want to burn your fingers.
If the heater is on then the control board needs replacing, re: it is not starting a defrost cycle automatically.

If not on.
Unplug the unit.
Remove the wire for one side of the heating element from the wiring and measure it for continuity, should be around 25 ohms.

If the heater is OK
Remove one wire to the defrost thermostat and measure it, should be 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens just above freezing so must be frozen to check it. Also inspect it, if it is bulged at all replace it even if it measures OK.

If both the above are OK then odds are the control board is toast.
File Attachment(s):
ED2LH.pdf (696kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ChristineHakes  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2015 12:31:28 PM(UTC)
ChristineHakes

Groups: Registered

denman,

Thank you so much for your response. We have had intermittent luck with the refrigerator since we spoke last. Recently there has been a build up of ice on the coils/freezer cover. (Indicating a defrost issue) We replaced the defrost thermostat, so that leaves the heater or the electronic control board. If you could answer a few questions, that would be so very helpful!

1) How do I manually force a defrost cycle? I apologize, I am not very good at reading the tech sheet. I could not figure it out.

2) If there is an issue with the control board (heater works fine), just to be sure that I am ordering the right part, is it the Electronic Control Board that is located in the control box in the frig side? I know there is one in the back of the refrigerator that is down by the compressor.

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:37:43 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert
Views messages in topic : 19,638

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]1) How do I manually force a defrost cycle? I apologize, I am not very good at reading the tech sheet. I could not figure it out.[/COLOR]
Sorry but I cannot really explain it any better than in the tech sheet.
Just do one step at a time and it should work.

[COLOR="Blue"]2) If there is an issue with the control board (heater works fine), just to be sure that I am ordering the right part, is it the Electronic Control Board that is located in the control box in the frig side?[/COLOR]
No

[COLOR="Blue"]I know there is one in the back of the refrigerator that is down by the compressor.[/COLOR]
The main control board is the one by the compressor (item 29 in section 09)
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply