Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marlbec88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:59:53 AM(UTC)
Marlbec88

Groups: Registered

Will post this again, could this be a User Control Board issue?
Occasionally when I go to open the door the inside light blinks on & off.
Control panel will blank out and beep, show power failure, partial number. Once I reset the temp touch pad to 7 all seems well, but when I come back the freezer temp is now 40F..obviously the freezer hasn't run since failure. I unplug the unit wait 1 to 2 minutes, plug back in and then the freezer starts running. Right now it has run well for over a week, temp -1 to 2F, but I can't trust that it will run continuously with this issue noted. A repair guy I had here says it could be a number of things, but he thinks replacing the touch pad user control panel might fix this. This electronic board seems to be very susceptible to power spikes, so should I put this freezer on a surge protector?

Thank for all replies & advice.
Clem
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jorge123  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:55:35 AM(UTC)
jorge123

I had the same symptoms - was reluctant to buy part since I did not know what the problem was. Bought part - shipped by Fedex - got to me in 1 day regular shipping. Freezer runs like new. I also think it was caused by an electrical fault.
I had reset the control board several times. Finally it quit.
I called chatted with AppliancePartsPros.com and was reassured they would take the part back if it did not fix the problem. That is unheard of in the industry as electrical part are rarely accepted for return. I saved $20 over buying it locally and they would not take the part back once it left the store.
So far this has been a real deal. I will also be using a surge suppressor on the freezer from now on.
Marlbec88  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:00:21 AM(UTC)
Marlbec88

Hello, I did patch work on the freezer, kept it running on the original temp board for 2 months, always needed a reset every few weeks, I finally bought a new temp control board, replaced the old, and so far this freezer is working as it should. These control boards are electronic, any electrical surge will blow them out, put a surge protector at the power box and hopefully the new board will last longer than the original board.
Cheers,
MB
westom  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 12:32:03 PM(UTC)
westom

Originally Posted by: Marlbec88 Go to Quoted Post
A repair guy I had here says it could be a number of things, but he thinks replacing the touch pad user control panel might fix this. This electronic board seems to be very susceptible to power spikes, so should I put this freezer on a surge protector?

What power spikes? Are these from AC mains? Then how many other appliances are you also replacing/repairing? Including the furnace and GFCIs?

Shotgunning is replacing parts on wild speculation. Better is to first know what is causing this. For example, if from external transients, then even digital clocks and TVs may be problematic.

Or is this due to static electric discharges that as so tiny you would not notice them. Static discharges are problematic mostly in rooms well below 40% relative humidity (ie summer and cold winters).

A keypad must connect to two completely different grounds. One is the electronics ground. Other is a chassis ground. If a keypad does not have separate connection to both, then electronics can fail as if by magic. Sometimes the essential chassis ground wire or tab is missing. Most technicians or repairmen have no idea why those two grounds are electrically different. They would measure same on a meter. Visual inspection is necessary. And only happens when one knows of this difference, what to look for, and why seperate grounds exist. If a switch pad chassis ground is missing or used the digital ground, then static electricity causes failure.

Same applies to a controller. Somewhere the two grounds only meet at one point. If a replaced controller is missing a dedicated ground wire or tab, then external transients canl upset electronic operations.

All electronics are so robust that daily transients are routinely made irrelevant. That internal protection is equal or superior to anything that might be plugged in adjacent. A completely different transient that can cause damage or crashes occurs maybe once every seven years. Only external protection from that transient is at the service entrance (ie breaker box) and connected low impednce (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground. So that robust protection inside all appliances (is smoke detectors) is not overwhelmed.

That last paragraph discusses transients completely different from above. First part discusses transients that can occur daily or monthly Last paragraph discusses a solution for something that occurs maybe once every so many (ie 7) years. An example of defining the problem long before fixing anything.
avela1  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 9:09:19 AM(UTC)
avela1

Frigidaire Upright Model: FFU14F7HBF
Hello, I recently experience my freezer not freezing and getting strange error codes. The freeze light would flicker and then stop working. I could unplug and plug back in several times to get it to start working again. Finally, it would not come back to life.

I went ahead and ordered/replaced the controller board (Part #: 297366301). When I plugged it in, freezer came on, but does not freeze. I'm not getting any funcky error codes. However it does say High Temp and sits at around 63 deg f. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply