Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whipartist  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 6:38:00 PM(UTC)
Whipartist

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a fridge/freezer that began to start cooling inconsistently over the last few weeks. The problem has gotten worse and worse until now it's more frequently warm than cool inside. We first started seeing the ice cubes melt on some days, but then soon, everything would be frozen again. As it's gone on, the bad days are much more numerous than the good ones.

There is no consistency to temperature or timing of any of this! Some days it will freeze water, no problem, and run like that most of the day. And on others it's room temperature inside the freezer. Some days the freezer is 75F inside, others it's 40, and others it's 20. It does what it wants.

We've emptied it out for now and have recently begun turning it off at night and experimenting with it during the day. We are living out of a separate freezer until we can repair this one.

After noticing the unit loosing it's cool, we reasoned that the summer here has been hot, and the back sides of the fridge felt overly warm to the touch. So we thought maybe it was working too hard.

We pulled the fridge out from the wall and pulled off the lower panel. Vacuumed out the dust bunnies. When we put the fridge back, we made sure that it was a bit further from the wall to allow good airflow.

Unfortunately this didn't help.

When the fridge decides to run, then it appears it runs pretty well. It doesn't freeze anything very quickly but then it's empty now. If it runs long enough then water freezes. But then it turns itself off for long periods of time, and usually we can't get it to freeze water anymore.

I can't find a certain temperature point at which it decides that it needs to turn on again. It doesn't matter, it just does what it wishes, when it wishes.

The fridge seals well, the light switch functions properly and it's not been subjected to any abuse. This is the first problem we've had and it's about 4-5 years old.

Defrost timer, thermostat, main circuit board? Any ideas? If I can diagnosis this then I'll order the part and install it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Ben
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.