Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hscholz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:36:37 PM(UTC)
hscholz

Groups: Registered

Hi:
My side by side refrigerator started about 8 months ago not to defrost properly. Removing the inner panel and using a heat gun, and checking the defrost thermostat and the defroster bulb fixed the problem for about a week. Since then I replaced the controller board twice and the defrost thermostat. I'm pretty good in electronics, so I defrosted It numerous times by hotwiring the defrost bulb for about 20 min or until the water quit dripping in the pan so I would not have to take the fridge apart. I also connected a hour meter in the back, so I could check, if the defrost was activated. Last time it was manually defrosted was on 8-6-14, today is 8-16-14, and it has not defrosted yet, and the temperature in the freezer is minus 15 deg, and in the fridge plus 60 deg. I have found another, what looks like a sensor on the bottom left side, were the pullout drawer is located, but I could not find it in your parts drawing.
I forgot to mention, that the defrosting cycle, when working, is very infrequent. Any help would be very appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:54:52 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you replaced the motherboard, then the only item left is the evaporator thermistor clipped to the top of the evaporator. It may be well off value which will prevent defrost.
You can initiate a manual defrost. Locate the 3 pin, gray power connector to the motherboard and install a wire jumper between the mating pins marked line and def. on the motherboard. Plug fridg. in, if you now get defrost, replace the evaporator thermistor.
hscholz  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:14:41 AM(UTC)
hscholz

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If you replaced the motherboard, then the only item left is the evaporator thermistor clipped to the top of the evaporator. It may be well off value which will prevent defrost.
You can initiate a manual defrost. Locate the 3 pin, gray power connector to the motherboard and install a wire jumper between the mating pins marked line and def. on the motherboard. Plug fridg. in, if you now get defrost, replace the evaporator thermistor.

Hi: richappy
Thank You for your reply, I defrosted it the way you described, and also replaced the "defrost thermostat", the clip on unit on the evaporator tubing. Is that what you called "evaporator thermistor"?.
Like I stated in my letter, I found another sensor in the freezer section, on the bottom left corner, were the pull out drawer is located. I could not find it in the parts drawing, so I wonder, if this is the problem.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:53:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Replace both of them, if the freezer thermistor is off value and indicates a very cold freezer, it may not defrost.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply