Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brhodgins  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:19:06 PM(UTC)
Brhodgins

Groups: Registered

This is my first post on here after quite a bit of reading.
Let me start by saying we have a fridge that fits our space and colour of our kitchen, and finding a new one with the right dimensions in white is not easy, so when our compressor went we opted to replace it as the rest of the fridgenever had any problems.

Since the compressor was replaced I've noticed the following:

• The fridge runs much more often than before

• There seems to be a surging sound coming from inside the freezer, like the tide coming in on the beach at night, more distinct when I put my ear to the freezer

• The inside of the fridge and freezer have a lot of condensation as soon as the door is opened

• Initial startup of compressor is very loud, but quiets to normal level after a minute

We have no confidence in the guy that did the repair, as he had to come back 3 times over the next week before we had a working fridge.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:07:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts.
You seem to be missing the last two digits of the model number so you will have to choose the correct unit from the Maatching Model Numbers section
Parts for GS6SHEXMQ - AppliancePartsPros.com

Please see the attachment for the tech sheet. It is for 01 and 02 units.

[COLOR="Blue"]The fridge runs much more often than before[/COLOR]
Check the freezer and fresh food temperatures with a thermometer.
The freezer should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
The fresh food should be around 38 to 40 degrees F.
[COLOR="Blue"]
There seems to be a surging sound coming from inside the freezer, like the tide coming in on the beach at night, more distinct when I put my ear to the freezer[/COLOR]
Could be a problem with the evaporator/freezer fan.
If the voltage to it is varying then it could be a control board problem.

[COLOR="Blue"]The inside of the fridge and freezer have a lot of condensation as soon as the door is opened[/COLOR]
This may be due it being to too cold.
May also be a door seal problem but the condensation would then be there all the time and not just when the door is opened.

[COLOR="Blue"]Initial startup of compressor is very loud, but quiets to normal level after a minute[/COLOR]
May just be the nature of the beast.
In other words I do not know.
File Attachment(s):
GS6SH.pdf (667kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:34:46 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
He may have failed to purge the system from non-compresables and now the compressor head pressure is higher than normal thus causing the compressor noise.
A partial evaporator frost pattern would confirm this, or a pressure test with gauges.
If so, the compressor will eventually fail.
Brhodgins  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:11:33 AM(UTC)
Brhodgins

Deman:
The whooshing sound seems to be pressure related, as the sound starts a minute after the compressor starts and can be heard for a few minutes after the compressor and freezer fan shuts off.
I checked the door seals everywhere with a 3" wide piece of paper, getting resistance everywhere.

Richappy,
How do I check for the frost pattern? Pulling the back plate off and checking if the evap coils are frozen?

The problem with a contaminated system worries me, as the first time he used the vacuum pump it shut down after 15 seconds. I pointed out the fact the compressor had no oil in it, he checked it, then he filled it, overfilled it actually, spewing oil all over the kitchen floor. He ran it again, it shut down after 15 seconds, said it would be fine, and charged the system, then left saying it would be fine.
4 hours later, the fridge is still warm, the frame where the fridge and freezer seals make contact was really hot, I then checked the compressor, and burned myself by touching it. A temp gun confirmed that it was 202 degrees. I read that it may be a line restriction.

2 days later he came back with a new pump and said he forgot to change the filter, soldering a new one on and running the pump for 20 minutes, not getting the reading he wanted, said it must be another defective pump, and then charged the system again. After running for a few minutes it sounded worse, pulling it out again he discovered that there was a leak at the filter solder joint. He resoldered it, burning the bottom of the fridge in the process, vacuumed it for 30 seconds, charged it, then left.

Which leaves me here. I normally wouldn't put up with that, but we had already paid the guy $700 after the first visit.

Sorry such a long post, but I thought the repair history would be relevant, even amusing for those of you that know what you are doing.

Brad
richappy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:17:31 PM(UTC)
richappy

Pull the back freezer panel, you will probably find a small frost pattern at the top. Also, if the compressor was trying to pump no-compressibles it has internal damage and will be inefficient at best.
Brhodgins  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:59:50 PM(UTC)
Brhodgins

OK I'll do that I'm not sure what I'm looking for though, but I'll snap a photo and upload it here. If the system is contaminated, what would you do if you were me if you wanted it repaired properly?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:50:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would sue for a replacement refrigerator, he ruined yours.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply