Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UncleRay  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 5:01:40 PM(UTC)
UncleRay

Groups: Registered

Hi,
First of all thank you for taking the time to read this post. I've used this site for troubling shooting other appliances with much success. Currently we have a GE refrigerator that is used in a cabin and is off for 6 months (winter) and then on for 6 months. It is around 5 years old. It runs but does not cool the freezer or food side. Compressor starts when plugged in and runs smoothly, condenser fan runs and moves air, condenser coil is a rolled up style and is clean, the back cardboard panel was/is in place. The evaporator fan in the freezer section is running and moving air to both sides (not cold or cool at all). It has a built in ice maker that has never been used or turned on. Temperature control is digital with finger touch control and is set at 5 (normal setting)on both sides. When changing it to a setting of "0" it shuts off the refrigerator. Both door switches turn the lights on and then off when closing. I pulled the main circuit board and looked for any burnt, shorted spots and it looks good. Felt the copper suction and discharge lines at the compressor and no real difference in temperature. No indications of problems prior to this. It was working one weekend and everything was found thawed out 4 days later. Hope I'm missing something and can get this going again. Thanks again for any help or suggestions. Ray
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:38:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert
You have been a member since:: 2/29/2008(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE GSH22JSTASS Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

FYI: Just in case you do not understand but all cooling in this unit comes from the freezer side.

Both fans run and the compressor runs but you get no cooling at all sounds like a sealed system problem.
This will be an expensive repair and often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

I would check a couple things first before concluding that it is the sealed system.

Double check that the compressor is on you can usually hear it but should also be able to feel it vibrating.

Remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.
If the compressor is on and there is no frost or frost only in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then it is a sealed system problem.

Be sure that the compressor has been on for at least an hour. If you check it during or shortly after a defrost cycle you may end up with the wrong conclusion.

I am assuming that the compressor is on all the time other than when it goes through a defrost cycle.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
UncleRay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:26:01 PM(UTC)
UncleRay

Groups: Registered

Hi again and thanks for the reply. Just in from checking the system after a couple hours of running. Verified that the compressor is running, humming by using a metal rod on the motor and up against my ear. Pulled the freezer evaporator coil panel and checked where the discharge tube (small diameter almost capillary size) enters. It was kept cool by the air pulled across by the fan above. The defrost heat element below was not on. With no air flow across the tubing, it started to frost up to where it swedges up to bigger copper and then into the aluminum tubing but no farther. The frost went away and came back a couple minutes later and then frost, no frost etc. Guessing the compressor got some minor discharge flow and lost suction due to loss of freon. Based on your advice I'd say the sealed system is the culprit. It's a real shame after so little use. We have a GE Profile PFS22SBSB SS at home. I replaced the main board on that one after it was about 6 years old. I'll see if I can cross reference to see if it has common parts and keep those off the side by side before hauling it to the recycle center. Time to get a new fridge. It won't be GE.
Thanks for your help, Ray
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:50:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert
You have been a member since:: 2/29/2008(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You are welcome.

Just wish it had a better outcome.

If you get an electronic controlled unit it is a good idea to also get an appliance surge protector. They are available at Home Depot etc. A 1000 joule unit is recommended.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply