Discuss

Voltage to defrost heater hotpoint fridge

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

I went to look at a fridge which is a basic apartment GE Hotpoint. CLeaned coils and made sure both

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Voltage to defrost heater hotpoint fridge

By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM

daddyduz is on a distinguished road
Default Voltage to defrost heater hotpoint fridge
Brand: GE   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I went to look at a fridge which is a basic apartment GE Hotpoint. CLeaned coils and made sure both fans clean and clear. Compressor running properly but found that coils in freezer was froze. Defrost timer working properly, I also checked resistance across defrost heater and was also good. I did not check resistance at defrost thermostat, but I did replace it just because I had one. Im still not getting defrost heater still working. I tested voltage with power on, which is where I am un clear of.. what voltage should be. With power on just a ghost reading, turn timer to off Im running 24v - 30v... Is this the correct voltage, somehow im pretty sure thats not right and what should be, also if not what am I missing to get this fridge correct... The defrost heater not getting hot seems the only problem with fridge though... Thanks Justin.. Kansas

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM

bfridge is on a distinguished road

Normally the voltage across the defrost heater should be 120VAC. Since you are getting lower than that, it suggest that the problem is within the control board or the wire harness between the control board and the heater.

However, make sure to test the voltage when the heater is at freezing temperature not room temperature.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a splendid one to behold

Im still not getting defrost heater still working.
Sorry but I do not understand the above.

I tested voltage with power on, which is where I am un clear of.. what voltage should be. With power on just a ghost reading, turn timer to off Im running 24v - 30v... Is this the correct voltage, somehow im pretty sure thats not right and what should be, also if not what am I missing to get this fridge correct... The defrost heater not getting hot seems the only problem with fridge though
Again I find the above confusing.
I am not sure what you mean by power off and power on.
The defrost timer is always on if the unit is plugged in.
I assume that by power on you mean the timer is in the cooling mode/position.
I also assume that by power off you mean that the timer is in the defrost position re: the compressor and fans shut off and the defrost heater should turn on as long as the defrost thermostat is frozen.

As bfridge said you should see 120 volts across the heater, defrost thermostat combo (they are wired in series).

If not and the wiring from the defrost heater to the defrost time is OK then the defrost thermostat is bad re: the contacts are not closing when in defrost.