Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Schwenkd70  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 4:12:33 PM(UTC)
Schwenkd70

Groups: Registered

I seem to be having trouble with the drain hole in my freezer freezing over. I have complete thawed out the freezer, verified that there is nothing blocking or obstructing the hole. I even wrapped a piece of bear copper wire around the heating element and leaf it dangling in the drain hole, no joy. Keeps freezing over. PLEASE HELP!

Attached are what the coils and I build up look like. The heating element is working because I can see water dripping off of the coils. The fan is running above the coils.
Schwenkd70 attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:35:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Looks like the drain defrost wire is at least trying to keep the drain hole open.

I am not sure what is going on here but I would try the following.

Check your freezer temperature. It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
Could be that the unit is just too cold.

Manually using a hair dryer defrost the drain pan.
Then give it a good cleaning. Any dirt/coating on it will slow down the defrost water and perhaps give it time to freeze.
Sometimes a buffed coating of wax on it will help the water drain faster.

Check that the drain tube is OK and does not have a partial plug.

I would check that it is clear.
If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Schwenkd70  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:42:44 PM(UTC)
Schwenkd70

Groups: Registered

When I have the freezer set at its warmest setting, "5" (0 is recommended) the temperature in the freezer at the bottom is about -1 degrees.

What would be causing it to get too cold?

Also, don't know if this is anything but sometimes the freezer or refrigerator doors are really hard to open. Almost like they are vacuumed sealed. I have to use 2 hands to pull it open and I am a fairly strong guy. Don't know what would cause that or of its anything to be concerned about.

Please let me know what you think about all is this.

Thanks so much for your help.

UPDATE:

A few hours after my last post I rechecked the temp I'm the freezer. There is nothing in the freezer, no shelves, no food and no bins. The thermometer (old school one, metal with analog type dial) was placed on the bottom of the freezer on the ice and it read -20. Could that be correct? Once thing that I noticed is that the fan above the heating elements and coils seems to be running constantly. I that correct?
I have moved the dial to the middle of the freezer on a shelf below the ice maker and will update with that temp in about an hour.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:07:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"] The thermometer (old school one, metal with analog type dial) was placed on the bottom of the freezer on the ice and it read -20. Could that be correct? [/COLOR]
I cannot say if the reading is correct.
I would get another thermometer to confirm this.
if it is correct then the unit is way too cold and you probably have a temperature control problem.

[COLOR="Blue"]Once thing that I noticed is that the fan above the heating elements and coils seems to be running constantly. I that correct?[/COLOR]
Not sure on this.
What is important is if the compressor is running all the time except when it goes through a defrost cycle..
You can usually hear it and feel it vibrating when it is on.
If it is on constantly then it again could be a temperature control problem.

See the attachment for the unit's tech sheet.
It may be useful to you.
File Attachment(s):
54606300.pdf (678kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply