Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mhurson  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:22:09 AM(UTC)
mhurson

Groups: Registered

I'd like confirmation that the compressor is shot. I am an advanced-amateur appliance repair man.

Icemaker went thru routine cycles, evaporator free of dust, slowly stopped freezing the water with the circulator pump running continuously.

My KitchenAid icemaker operates on an Embraco compressor, model EM65HNR. I checked the 4TM thermal protector, good continuity. Checked relay, correct continuity with coil up/down.

Connected 120V directly to common and run leads on overload and relay. Brief sound of compressor start, then overload trips and is hot to touch.

Removed overload and relay, checked resistance...3.5 common to main, 9.4 common to aux, and 12.2 man to aux.

Just re-checked for continuity from ground lead to compressor housing - CLOSED CIRCUIT. Compressor is shot.

Can a guy like me install a new compressor? I'd like to add basic refrigeration maintenance to my capabilities. Cost of new compressor and basic tools appears to be a lot less than replacing the ice maker.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.