Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmyJo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:46:41 AM(UTC)
AmyJo

Groups: Registered

Model Number: RFG 297 aars
Brand: Samsung

Hi,
I need to refill the r134a in my refrigerator/freezer.
Will someone please look at the picture below and let me know which is the Low Line, and if I need to add a service valve, or are either of the existing valves the correct place to put the coolant in. THANK YOU!

The compressor label says;
Samsung BK190C-L2C E02, 240v, 3.6 IRA, RoHs Compliance, electronically protected system, R-134a.
The numbers above the barcode are 2676CCAS800942.
There's also a logo that looks like a backwards 3RJ, followed by US.

The details, for any who wants them…
We bought it "refurbished" from an appliance store 18 months ago. An authorized repair person recently diagnosed the warm freezer issue is due to a leak at the aluminum-copper solder joint in the freezer evaporator. He explained the evaporator is fine, but the weld can't be fixed "on-site" because of the copper/aluminum. I was told it would cost $700 and take 6 weeks to get the part.
After reading several forums, I decided to patch the leak - what do I have to loose? since I'm not going to ruin anything that doesn't need to be replaced anyway.
I prepped the joint and used JB weld putty, as recommended by several forums. After the proper cure time I plugged the refrigerator in, the evaporator frosted up to the first few aluminum fins, which let me know the system was still pressurized, so it likely had not pulled in any moisture through the leak. I I unplugged the unit and did the soapy water test, no bubbles.
I have called several repair places and individuals, and I can't get anyone to come fill it, they all gave understandable reasons.

I plan to purchase the coolant/hose at Walmart. Purge the hose first, add a small amount, then watch the evaporator frost line, and repeat this over the next several hours until I'm just shy of a full frost - hopefully ensuring that I don't overfill the unit, which I've read is one of the biggest mistakes I could make.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated! THANK YOU!
AmyJo attached the following image(s):
Image-1.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.