Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HotFreezer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:04:13 AM(UTC)
HotFreezer

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore 21 cu ft upright frost free freezer has served me well for the past 14 years. I am the original owner, and it has never needed to be repaired.

In the past month or so, the interior isn't as cold as it used to be. I put in a wireless thermostat, it is now in the 15 degree to 22 degree F range, rather than single digits. This is warm enough that its temperature alarm sets off.

I've examined the coils, and they are fine - no ice build up at all. Some of the fins were sort of smushed, so I've carefully straightened them. The inside fan works.

The unit "runs" constantly. This is in Las Vegas, and the freezer is in my garage which gets quite warm. I've found that opening the garage door in the early morning to let in cooler air can drop the wireless thermometer-reported temperature by 5 degrees or so.

Any thoughts? Is it likely to just be "low on refrigerant" (R134A, according to the label - 7.0 oz or 198 grams)?

The compressor on the back (the black tub-like thing - I assume this is the compressor) is HOT to the touch - hot enough you'll instinctively pull your hand away. Much hotter than the properly working compressor in my inside house GE side-by-side. The copper line coming off the compressor that should be very cold is not so cold at all.

I've put a stand-alone tiny fan, about the size of a computer fan, near the compressor to blow hot air away, and that helps a few degrees.

Any thoughts? Given its age, is it worth it to repair? What would a reasonable range for a repair price be from a qualified tech?

Thanks in advance.
Phil
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 3:30:06 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Any thoughts? Is it likely to just be "low on refrigerant" (R134A, according to the label - 7.0 oz or 198 grams)?[/COLOR]
I cannot say. You have to get a pro in so they can put gauges on the unit to check it.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The compressor on the back (the black tub-like thing - I assume this is the compressor) is HOT.[/COLOR]
It would be since it is running all the time and also in a hot ambient temperature.

[COLOR="Blue"]The copper line coming off the compressor that should be very cold is not so cold at all.[/COLOR]
The line should not be very cold. The high pressure line goes to the evaporator/freezer coils the freon is under pressure it then goes through an orifice and is then allowed to expand which causes the cooling.

[COLOR="Blue"]I've put a stand-alone tiny fan, about the size of a computer fan, near the compressor to blow hot air away, and that helps a few degrees.[/COLOR]
It sounds like it is running just not as efficiently as it used to.
That is why cooling down the compressor a little helps also if you blew air over the condenser coils at the back would also probably help a little.
Adding the fans tough will increase your operating cost.

[COLOR="Blue"]
Any thoughts? Given its age, is it worth it to repair? What would a reasonable range for a repair price be from a qualified tech?[/COLOR]
It sounds like it is on it's last legs and not worth fixing.
Being that it has been running is a hot garage it has many more hours of run time on it than a unit that would be in a house.
Just getting a tech in will probably cost about $100.00 and then it will go up from there. If you have a slow freon leak there is no use just adding freon. The leak has to be found and repaired first or you may have to add freon every year. also finding the leak may be difficult and/or it may be in the compressor and replacing the compressor definitely would not be worth it.

Finding a replacement unit that will tolerate the garage temperatures may not be an easy task. You have to look at the specs as to the highest recommended ambient temperature. Manufacturers will not warranty a unit if it is run outside this spec.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply