Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harper14  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 7:15:15 AM(UTC)
harper14

Groups: Registered

:( A few weeks ago we had a power outage for a few hours. A few days later the refrigerator control panel (where you digitally change the temp of freezer and fridge) started to not work. The freezer stayed on 0 but the fridge went up a degree every few days. When I would try to change the temp none of the buttons worked on the control panel. I checked and there was no frost build up in the freezer. Also the fridge seemed to run fine- there were no strange sounds and it did not stay on too long or seem hot. (seemed like the fridge was just doing whatever the computer told it to do) Well, 2 days ago the control panel said OFF for both fridge and freezer and is no longer working. Lights still come on for both but neither are cooling. I think I might need a new control board part W10207861. But could something else from the power outage have been broken and thus affected the control board? I don't want to fix the board and then ruin a new one because I did not change out another part. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 2:33:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would replace the control board although rather pricey.
harper14  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 8:51:32 PM(UTC)
harper14

Thanks. That's what I figured.
harper14  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 7:44:58 AM(UTC)
harper14

I just wanted to update this in case anyone else had a similar problem. I ordered a replacement control board ($160) and a replacement keyboard ($60). I replaced the keyboard first because it was cheaper so I thought if it fixed my fridge I would send the control board back for a refund. Any I was right! It was only my keyboard. I left the control board alone and did not even open the box that the new control board came in so I will be sending that back for a refund. In all my internet searching (almost a full week combing through online appliance forums) I never found a video on how to change out the keypad but it was actually pretty easy. You take the panel off just as you would to change the control board, then you use your fingernails to literally peel off the keyboard (thin strip of plastic with gel on the back) and unhook it from the control board. Then you put the new keypad where the old one was and hook the new one up to the control board. I did all of this while the fridge was unplugged of course but it was still acting a little strange when I plugged it back in so I unplugged it again and when I plugged it in the second time it worked. (of course I had already tried to unplug multiple times before I ordered my keyboard to see if that is all that I needed to do but it did not work until I changed out keypad). So excited this working mother of 5 did it all myself for less than $100!:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply