Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomD62  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:00:06 PM(UTC)
TomD62

Groups: Registered

The compressor will run once in a while and it gets good and cold. But then it turns off and none of the fans run , no action, other than the lights.
I've bridged the thermostat, but I cant find the defrost timer anywhere.
I hit it and it started back up, but sometimes it won't respond to that either.
I've looked in back, by the compressor, up in the upper back section of the fridge section where the thermostat is, and behind the panels in the freezer, just a defrost sealed thermostat for the heater in there. Where did they hide the timer?
Thanks.

I moved the Black wire on the terminal block down in the back corner by the water solenoid to the terminals with the red wires, this started the compressor and condenser fan when I plugged it back in, the evap coils got cold right away, of course, none of the lights work and the internal fan is not running.
The hot AC in line runs to two black wires that go into the body of the fridge, I don't see black wires on the thermostat, nor the evap fan and defrost thermostat, so they go somewhere and come out as orange to the thermostat and blue to the defrost thermostat and fan. WinTH did they hide that timer?

Ah Ha!, found it, it's inside the icemaker. Sneaky hiding space. Looked like a lot of plastic dust inside, but no broken teeth, I think something got into the contacts of one of the switches. I took it apart and cleaned it all up with a Q-tip and some silicon lube. Then had to look up the timing information, which I found on an ******** listing :) Seems to be working for now, we'll see in the morning.

Nope, stalled again, compressor was off this AM, until I tapped the timer and then the compressor started, sometime later the motor in the timer started again.

BTW, anyone have a schematic for this fridge?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 2:02:39 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Please check it.
Find your model number - AppliancePartsPros.com

I have never seen a defrost timer in the freezer.

They are usually in the fresh food section control console, at the front behind the kick plate or at the back behind the cover plate.

Often you may not be able to see the timer as it is mounted on a bracket and all you see is the back of the bracket with a hole in it that allows you to manually turn the timer cam.

Also depending on the model it may not use a defrost timer.
Defrost may be controlled from an adaptive defrost board or the main control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TomD62  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 10:47:33 AM(UTC)
TomD62

It's an old one circa 1979, has a 6 pin connector for the flex tray icemaker/timer. It looks like there are sellers on that auction site that have timer only modules that replace the icemaker for about 60, which will work since I don't have a water hookup anyway.
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:12:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Sorry but I have never seen or even heard of a defrost timer being part of the ice maker assembly.

Hopefully someone else will jump in who has actually seen this unit or at least has some info on it.
TomD62  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:58:13 AM(UTC)
TomD62

I found this troubleshooting guide: Refrigerator compressor is running and is not cold - Chapter 4 -Refrigerator Repair Manual What is going on is the microswitch gets into a dead zone, NC and NO are both open, so the motor does not run and the timer stops running with the compressor off.
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:26:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Could be you just have to replace the mico switch.

Reading the bit under figure 28 it could be that you just have to replace the switch. Looks like the heater is on the Common to Normally Closed.

Sounds like the switch is bad.
Have you tried removing the screws from it so you know that it is not activated?
Looks like it should turn the heater on.
Or you could unplug the unit and check the switch with a meter.

I was able to hunt down some parts info see the below link.
15-Section parts for Whirlpool EED221MTWR0 / - AppliancePartsPros.com

Looks like the switch is
Part number: AP3001666
Part number: AP3001666

PS Thanks for getting back to me. You have done a great job tracking info down on this unit and have taught me something.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply