Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paper1122  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:45:12 AM(UTC)
paper1122

Groups: Registered

Ok, here is the issue. Twice now the fridge portion has stopped working while the freezer is working just fine. In both cases it has taken 3 days and the fridge starting working again. The first time it happened I cleaned the coils and forced a defrost thinking that was the issue, it did not solve the problem. We have had a tech come out twice but both times it had started working again so there was nothing they can do. When it stops working there is no air blowing out of the vent inside the fridge.

I do not know a whole lot about refridgerators but I can test anything that I have a wiring diagram for, the problem is the service manual is missing.

To me it is likely one of a few things.
1. The control board that tells the fridge compressor to run
2. The sensor that feeds information to the control board is bad
3. The fridge compressor could be bad
4. Is there a blend door that could be stuck?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, right now all of our food is in my beer fridge...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

paper1122  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:34:27 PM(UTC)
paper1122

So I've spent some time playing with it so far this evening. It was working when I got home but stopped working shortly thereafter. The cold air comes in through the ice maker. It is routed through a fan unit and then there is a door/damper that lets it into the fridge. I've checked and it doesn't appear I have incoming voltage to the fan or the damper.

This leads me to believe it is a control board, but they are expensive and I hate to throw money at something without a second opinion.
paper1122  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:48:59 PM(UTC)
paper1122

Ok, so one more update.

I cycled power on the fridge and the fan came on and the damper opened. Which leads more credibility to the control board theory.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:36:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Please check it.

Yes since unplugging it seemed to fix the problem the control board moves to the top of the list for probable causes.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
paper1122  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:23:50 AM(UTC)
paper1122

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Please check it.

Yes since unplugging it seemed to fix the problem the control board moves to the top of the list for probable causes.

Looks like I had a letter wrong, GI7FVCXWY01, or GI7FVCXWY-01

I found a wiring diagram. So based on what I know it can only be one of a couple of items.

1. The Thermistor for the fridge is on the fritz, I know what the specs should be so I will probably pull it out and give it a test.
2. There is something wrong with the relay that controls the damper, if I had a safe power supply/generator I could test this, but I'm not sure I want to just play with line voltage.
3. As I've stated before, the control board just isn't sending the right signal.

It looks like I have some further testing to do.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply