Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solafide2014  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:24:03 PM(UTC)
solafide2014

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side 14+ years old with inconsistent cooling.
I first noticed it earlier in the month when the refrigerator temperature
would reach 50 to 55. The freezer also warms up to close to 32 when this happens.
After unplugging it for a few minutes, then
restarting it, it would quickly cool and work fine for about 24 hours, then the same problem occurs. I have noticed no icing. Turning the temperature knob to off then to a normal setting also seems to work usually. I have cleaned the coils and replaced the start relay, but that has not solved the problem. I suspect the main control thermostat is the problem. Is this most likely the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:20:33 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your model number is missing some digits at the end so you will have to choose the correct number from the Matching Model Numbers section.

When it does this what is on and what is not?
Compressor, condenser/compressor fan and evaporator/freezer fan?

If all are off then I agree with you that the most likely culprit is the control thermostat.
Try justs turning the thermostat up/down but not to off to see if the unit will start up. If yes then the thermostat jumps to the top of the list.

Another possibility would be the defrost timer.
Turn the defrost timer cam with a screwdriver. There is usually a hole in the cover that allows you to do this without dismantling the unit. If it fires up I would replace the timer.

If the fans run but the compressor does not then odds are that it is the start device on the compressor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
solafide2014  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:16:23 PM(UTC)
solafide2014

Hi,

Thanks for replying. The full model # is ED25TQX GW00. After the last reset, it went about 36 hours before getting to 50 degrees. I turned the dial to one letter warmer (but not off). The inside fan came on and ran a few minutes, but didn't cool noticeably before stopping. I then turned the dial to a colder letter than normal. It cooled down and was OK for about 24 hours. I then turned the defrost screw. The fridge cooled down quickly again. As mentioned earlier, I replaced the start relay on the compressor a couple of weeks ago, but not the capacitor. Since defrost timers are relatively cheap, I think I may replace it first and see what happens. If it still acts up, I can then replace the main thermostat. What do you think? Thanks
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:16:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It sounds like the thermostat to me but if uyou are not sure then I also would replace the cheaper of the two parts first.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
solafide2014  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:52:27 AM(UTC)
solafide2014

On two days/occasions turning the defrost screw caused it to start up and cool normally for around 24 hours. On a third day/occasion turning the defrost screw did not cause it to start, but turning the temperature thermostat knob did. I agree with you that it's most likely the thermostat, but think I'll just replace both and have it over with instead of taking it apart twice. Thanks again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply