Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dridley  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:24:59 PM(UTC)
dridley

Groups: Registered

Noticed temps rising in freezer. Pulled the back panel, coil is iced over and the fan was not spinning. Hair dryer defrost and plugged back in and the fan was spinning slow. Hit it with some 3in1 oil and it spun faster. Hour later it was stopped, compressor still running. Nudged it with my finger and it spun slow then stopped. Pigtailed the evap fan to 120 and plugged it in at it was a hurricane. Plugged back into the freezer and slow spin until cold then stopped again.

Weak motor? Thermo disc works. Bad adaptive defrost timer? (btw my adaptive defrost timer is no longer available, sears wanted to sell me a mechanical one).

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:11:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sounds like the evaporator could be toast.
Part number: AP4128247

Click on the picture for more info about the part.

With the fan installed in the freezer check the voltage across it. If it is 120 volts then I would replace the fan.

As to the defrost you would need to get a wiring diagram of the unit to be able to either replace it with an analog or digital defrost timer.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dridley  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 6:04:55 AM(UTC)
dridley

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like the evaporator could be toast.

Click on the picture for more info about the part.

With the fan installed in the freezer check the voltage across it. If it is 120 volts then I would replace the fan.

As to the defrost you would need to get a wiring diagram of the unit to be able to either replace it with an analog or digital defrost timer.

Thanks for the reply. New motor installed last night, spun slow, this morning it's stopped. Must be the defrost control. They no long make the part. I'm sure I can get a mechanial defrost but I have no clue how to wire it.

I'm sad.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 3:06:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You will need a wiring diagram to verify which wire goes from the adaptive defrost board to the evaporator motor, then you can install a wire from the cold control to the evaporator motor.
Then when the compressor is running the fan will run.
dridley  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:00:47 AM(UTC)
dridley

Thanks again for the reply. After screwing around I unplugged the defrost heater and the fan stopped slowly turning. It seems the power for the fan goes through the heater first. Tested the heater after removing it from the bottom of the coil and no ohms. It had resistance when installed which I'm chalking up to a short from the heater to the coil. Ordered new heater and will post back when installed. I believe I've found the culprit.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:43:25 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Very good, I suspected that. Best to replace the defrost terminator also. you can test it, should be shorted at freezer temperatures.
dridley  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 3:49:36 PM(UTC)
dridley

PROBLEM SOLVED!! I'm replying because so many people post here and when the problem is fixed they forget about the forum.

The defrost heater had a crack at the turn under the coil (away from the feed wires).

Warm, it would make a little connection, cold that connection would go away causing the evaporator fan not to run since it gets it power THROUGH the defrost heater. I did go ahead and replace the defrost thermostat just for good measure. Assuridly the defrost heater was to blame.

I tested this after removing the heater, warm it had some resistance, cold it did not any at all.

Even though I bought a new evap motor for the fan, I still saved myself a chunk of money. This model is rare that a evap fan is powered through the defrost heater (path of least resistance series wiring). Hope this helps someone like me down the road. Model 596.9535680 5969535680
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply