Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjgiuseffi  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 5:38:02 AM(UTC)
jjgiuseffi

Groups: Registered

I just purchased and installed a new condenser fan motor, defrost timer and defrost thermostat because frozen food was not very frozen and ice in the trays had been melting and freezing together. After installing these items, the refrig runs continuously. Freezer gets to 15 to 20 degrees and refrigerator section 30 to 35 degrees depending on setting but the refrig does not stop running. It will shut off if I move the temperature control know to off but comes back on at the lowest setting. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 11:20:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Before replacing the parts was the unit running all the time?
Did you check the evaporator coils before replacing those parts?
Did you check the defrost parts to see if they were actually bad?

Check the evaporator coils.
Be sure that the compressor has run for at least an hour before doing this. If you do it during or shortly after a defrost cycle you could come to the wrong diagnosis.

If they are heavily iced/frosted over then you have a defrost problem.

If there is just frost in one area, usually where the freon enters the coils, then you have a sealed system problem. This would be an expensive repair and usually it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

Another possibility would be a door seal leak.
Take a 2 inch strip of paper and place it between the seal and the units frame. then pull it out to check the seal. Work your way around both doors.
Also check the hinge side to see if the seal is twisting/catching when closing the door. If yes then a light coating of vaseline or white lithium grease often fixes this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jjgiuseffi  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 1:41:39 PM(UTC)
jjgiuseffi

Groups: Registered

Thank you for your reply.

The refrigerator was not running all the time prior to replacing the parts.

One day I found that the frozen food was not frozen solid and there was water on the bottom shelf of the (top) Freezer. I looked at a great deal of troubleshooting blogs and videos, including the ones on this site. After that I checked the compressor with a meter and found that it was fine. I did not see frost on the evaporator coils behind the freezer. With these symptoms, most troubleshooting blogs pointed to the three parts I purchased. I thought is was the defrost thermometer because of the water in the freezer but the fan was making noise and I figured with the age of the refrig I might as well replace the timer also. I will say that I did not check the defrost parts first.

After your reply, I checked the evaporator coils again and there is significant frost only in the corner around where the defrost thermometer is. I assume that is were the freon enters. So I'm guessing you were right on about the sealed system problem.

Thanks again.

PS Door seal was fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply