Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lurlene  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 4:27:10 AM(UTC)
lurlene

Groups: Registered

The compressor in my Frigidiare refrigerator is having trouble starting. The thermostat will call for cooling, after several seconds I'll hear a click (presumably the thermal protection in the compressor?), the fan motors will speed up, and then after several more seconds, I'll hear another click (thermal protection again?) the fan motors will bog down, and the cycle repeats. Sometimes it'll manage to start, sometimes not.

The condenser fan is running, so it doesn't seem to be caused by high head pressure.

I'm not sure if I have a bad capacitor or the compressor is dying, or what. Guidance on how to further troubleshoot would be appreciated. I have a digital multimeter as well as an amp clamp, so feel free to get technical. I'm going to dig into it this afternoon and take some readings.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:33:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your start device on the side of the compressor is probably bad. If it rattles when you shake it it's bad.
lurlene  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:57:24 AM(UTC)
lurlene

Groups: Registered

It was indeed a bad PTC. It rattled, and tested bad according to the tests I found online. Replaced it and it is running fine.

I had a bad thermostat a few months back that was causing it to short cycle....I wonder if that caused the PTC to die.

Thanks for the assistance!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 12:21:07 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Probably not, but a power surge probably blew it, put a 1000 joule surge protector in the wall outlet. I use a Belkin 855 joule device available at Amazon,$6.00
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply