Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
onasoga2@yahoo.com  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
onasoga2@yahoo.com

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Freezer Model # - MQF1656TEW01. I bought it brand new at Home Depot in June 2012.

Problem – Since last week, it has not been cooling (at all), not to mention freezing which is supposed to.

Observation –
Outside -
1. The compressor is working, as well as the start relay. I can hear the compressor picking up.
2. I can also feel that the evaporator pipe is cooling, by touching it.
3. The condenser coil at the bottom is clean.
Inside - I opened the fridge & removed the cover at the back -
1. The light is working & the temperature control thermostat is working as I rotated it from end to end, it turns off the compressor & minutes later, rotated it & the compressor turns on.
2. The condenser fan motor is working ok.
3. The evaporator coils are normal (neither cold nor hot) & NO ice on it.
4. The evaporator pipe inside the freezer that connects to the evaporator coils is ice over (frozen ice on the pipe that connects to evaporator coils)
5. The freezer door gasket is in excellent condition
Test –
I went to Maytag website to read what other users of this freezer model are experiencing at – http://www.maytag.com/kitchen-1...tion-2/refrigerators-3/-[MQF1656TEW]-1102175/MQF1656TEW/
1. I found out (from the website) that the main problem with this freezer model is the defrost timer/thermostat (if not advancing will not turn on the defrost heater, thereby causing icing over the evaporator coils & air will not travel through the coils to provide cooling)
2. I unplugged the defrost thermostat & test the defrost thermostat for continuity. From my test meter , there was no continuity of the defrost thermostat. I then put the defrost thermostat on ice, for it to reach the low temperature of its operating range, redid the continuity test, there was no continuity reading.
3. I went to AppliancePartsPro website to look for the freezer model & parts at – 03-Unit Parts parts for Maytag MQF1656TEW01 / - AppliancePartsPros.com
4. On 12/26/13, I placed an order (Order No )for the defrost thermostat – Bimetl-Def (Part no AP4539435 from Whirlpool) for a total cost of $34.88 ($27.93 + $6.95(shipping)).
5. I received the Bimetl-Def part on 12/28/13. I tested the ordered part as I did on no 3 above, there is no continuity reading on it. I installed the new part in the freezer. Unfortunately, it makes no difference to the freezer not cooling. I re-tested the ordered part as I did on no 3 above, there is no continuity reading on it.
NEED HELP
1. Can you help me identify the correct part based on my Observation & Test.
2. I assume the Bimetl-def I ordered is defective but you can confirm.
3. I will need a Return Merchandise Number to return it & the address where to return it to.

heather: everything I'm reading points to the same thing, what I would suggest is to go on our site and post a question and list everything you have for me in this chat, one of our technicians will respond within 24-48 hrs.
heather: I can go ahead and do the return now if you would like.
LANREO: OK, Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.