Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ms031317  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:32:18 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Groups: Registered

:confused: I have a GE Profile model PSS2NHPB CC which has the beverage door on the front for easy access to milk and so forth. The door works fine, however, the interior lights used to come on when you would open the beverage door. The lights do come on when the main door is opened indicating the main door switch is working. Is there a mercury switch or something that operates the beverage door for the lights to come on? If so, what would be involved in replacing it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:38:56 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Can you please double check that model number?
ms031317  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:02:57 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Originally Posted by: Appliance Ninja Go to Quoted Post
Can you please double check that model number?

The model number shows PSS29NH
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:41:53 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Thank you, we were missing the "9" but are good to go now! There is a separate switch for the refreshment door. It is shown as number 600 in the picture below. I believe that switch is faulty, but you could test it for continuity to verify it is faulty. That switch will have two wires going to it, one will be brown and one will be purple. When the door is opened, that switch should close, completing the connection between those two wires. That switch is available below.

GE WR23X10027 Micro Switch - AppliancePartsPros.com
Appliance Ninja attached the following image(s):
APP1.jpg
ms031317  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:09:09 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Thanks Appliance Ninja for your quick response. Continuity tested good for the switch. I tested the brown and purple wire for continuity from the switch to the bottom of the main door where the two wires plug into. Purple wire is good but No continuity for the brown wire. Looks like a break in the brown wire somewhere in the main door or the refreshment door. What would you suggest? Take the refreshment door apart? The main door? How do they come apart?:confused:
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:15:58 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Oh, that is a bummer! It is most likely to be broken where it hinges, probably by the beverage door. It will be a search for that wire, for sure. I cannot give you many first hand tips because I have never had that issue in the field. Nice job on finding that issue, though! I am going to see if I can locate a service manual and will post what I find.
Appliance Ninja  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:23:04 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Looks like that wire harness runs through the door as part of the door assembly. That door is FIP, or Foamed In Place, making harness replacement impossible. It appears that the door will need to be replaced to correct that wire issue.
ms031317  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:54:56 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Originally Posted by: Appliance Ninja Go to Quoted Post
Oh, that is a bummer! It is most likely to be broken where it hinges, probably by the beverage door. It will be a search for that wire, for sure. I cannot give you many first hand tips because I have never had that issue in the field. Nice job on finding that issue, though! I am going to see if I can locate a service manual and will post what I find.

Great. Hope you find info on how to take the door(s) apart. Oh, I also checked for voltage and there is 120 volts at the brown wire at the bottom of the frige where the wires connect. Thanks Appliance Ninja, hear back from you soon.
Appliance Ninja  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:09:23 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I located that manual, the door is not able to be taken apart, it is a foamed in place style. The wires are run through the door and then the expanding foam insulation is sprayed in. the door will need to be replaced if the wires are broken inside. You may want to look very carefully at the wire near the hinge in case it broke outside of the door and may be able to be soldered back together.
ms031317  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:16:28 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Thanks Appliance Ninja. The wire actually is located inside the main door. It doesn't pass through the refreshmernt door at all. So there's no flexing of the wire or critical bend where it would be under stress. I will look at the bottom where the wire comes out the main door. It doesn't flex there either but theres only about 6 inches of accessable wire I can check. Bad Bad design GE. How can they barry a high voltage wire like that? You would think that it would be some sort of electrical code violation. You should be able to retrieve a high voltage wire. Bummer! :mad:
Thanks again Appliance Ninja. If I find a work around, I will let you know.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply