Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fidgets Folly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:29:29 PM(UTC)
Fidgets Folly

Groups: Registered

Hey All... Well it seems like the Fridge may have spit the bit! Started with a water leak from the polyprop lines that some genius decided to route thru a knock-out in the Galvanized divider with-out putting some sort of grommet around them as protection, so every time the solenoid opened & closed the lines rattled causing them to get cut... OK not the reason I'm here but what I found back there was just as bad. Seems the cardboard "floor" with a layer of insulation on it, got caught up on my floor tile in-lay (rough stone) and bunched up in the fan back here!! (slid fridge out to paint back in there & I guess when I pushed it back in well that's probably when this cardboard floor got caught up in fan) When I felt the compressor it was smoking hot but running! The Fridge & freezer were working but the Bride was saying things aren't as cold as "usual". Well that night when she took the icecream out of freezer it was downright soupy. Next morning I found this wonderful place along with Parts Select. So I ordered a Start relay, Overload, Start-Device "combination" & Capacitor. (turns out the overload & start relay are in the Start Device, so those 2 items are going back, didn't use the individual pieces just the Start Device)... anyway, the "Start-Device combination" didn't do the trick, still no cooling.

It seems like the compressor starts... the suction & discharge lines get cold & hot (respectively) for a few seconds, then they get equal in temp & the Comp seems to go "quiet" (I think it's still running?? did the screwdriver to the ear trick & I hear stuff moving in there!!??) Anyway is it possible that I burnt the valves in the Comp and the hi side is passing to the low side?? Suction & discharge sides) My neighbor's friend who is a refigeration tech said these new compressors don't hold up like the old days to over heating... I have no idea how long the fan was blocked up by cardboard, could have been weeks!! Again, the comp was HOT HOT... but fridge was "working" up till the dang water lines stared leaking.:mad:

Am I looking at a new Compressor & a tech to install?? I did continuity test across all 3 legs, (rang out) & the Ohms test was also OK (I read about here I was with-in the parameters, can't find my readings just now, but there were with-in tolerances...) Whats an average price for installation from the Whirlpool Tech? I see a compressor is $450 beans...

Thanks for / to any responses in advance!

PS Tech is due out tomorrow between 1 & 5...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.