Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tom Hawk  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:29:02 PM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Groups: Registered

I tried to post earlier but I must have done something wrong.

I have a Sears Coldspot freezer that's 35 years old. Inside the box, it smells like a burned up motor. However, everything works and sounds ok. When the thermostat is set at "4", my normal setting, the temperature in the box is at -5 degrees F.

The obvious problem is that the compressor cycles on and off as it should but the evaporator fan runs constantly. It even runs when the thermostat is set to "OFF". I ordered an evaporator fan (overnight delivery) and will install it tomorrow. Why does the fan run continuously? Is it possible that a set of contacts may be stuck someplace?

Should I replace any other parts?

Thanks for any help that may be offered.

Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Tom Hawk  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:08:27 AM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm planning on replacing the evaporator fan tonight. What else should I do?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Hawk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:21:09 PM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

To All,

I purchased an evaporator fan. I removed the back cover inside the freezer to access the fan that I thought was bad and it's in as-new condition. It turns freely, does not have a burnt motor smell and is as clean and quiet as a new fan. The only problem is that it does not shut off, even with the thermostat turned to the "off position". I did not install the new fan.

Where does the power for the evaporator fan come from? I obviously have an electrical issue and I don't know where to look. I do not have the electrical schematics for the freezer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Hawk  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:09:40 PM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Is it possible that the evaporator fan is supposed to run except when on the defrost cycle? And, is it possible that the defrost heating element is giving off the "burnt motor" smell? If so, should I just replace the defrost heating element and leave the fan alone?
Tom
richappy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:44:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In some models, the evaporator motor is wired in series with the defrost. If the defrost thermostat is shorted, the fan will run all the time.
Tom Hawk  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:18:11 AM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Richappy,

Maybe that's my problem. How do I check for a shorted defrost thermostat?

Thanks!

Tom
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:49:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

When it's running, just temporarily remove one wire to it and see if that solves the problem.
Tom Hawk  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:07:56 PM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Richappy,

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I will not be able to do it until tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Tom
Tom Hawk  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 3:38:46 AM(UTC)
Tom Hawk

Richappy,

Last night I removed the inside panel. I turned the defrost timer to the defrost position. The compressor stopped, the evaporator fan stopped and the defrost heating element came on and got very hot. No odor came out of anything. After the timer advanced beyond the defrost position, the evaporator fan kicked back on and the compressor started up. The defrost heater had already cooled off. I guess the defrost thermostat had properly opened to shut it off during the defrost cycle.

After everything was back to the normal "running" condition, I unplugged the freezer, disconnected one if the wires to the defrost thermostat and plugged the freezer back up - the evaporator fan started running. I then unplugged the freezer, reconnected the wire to the defrost thermostat, plugged the freezer back up - everything seems to work except the evaporator fan still continues to run constantly and will run even when the thermostat is rotated to the "off" position. When rotating the thermostat from the nornal "4" position, the compressor will shut off at about position #3 so it appears that the thermostat works properly. The evaporator fan just continues to run.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
richappy  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 6:53:59 AM(UTC)
richappy

You probably have a shorted wire someplace, hard to find. I once worked two hours to fix one!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply