Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sdpluth  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 11:03:51 AM(UTC)
sdpluth

Groups: Registered

Hi. I'm looking for some advice/diagnostic help with my GE Profile refrigerator,

I'm at work and not sure of the exact model number but it is a side by side and starts - PCS23??
Here is the history - motherboard replaced 2 years ago for fluctuating temperatures, has worked fine since.

Last night we discovered temperatures in fridge and freezer 20 degrees above normal. Lights and digital displays all work. I pulled out the fridge and removed the lower cover. Condenser was dusty and I cleaned it off. Compressor was hot but not running. Condenser fan was not running. Changing the thermostat and leaving the doors open did not trigger any activity/cooling.
I unplugged the power for several minutes and plugged it back in. No change. I did this a few times and I noticed that the fan was very weakly trying to turn but never got more than a quarter turn and then it stopped. The fan spins freely when I spin it but it doesn’t continue to turn.

We pushed the fridge back and emptied everything we could into our chest freezer. An hour later I thought I could hear the fan again but I didn't pull it back out to look.

This morning the fridge and freezer were both back to temperature. I didn't have time to pull out the fridge and look but I didn't hear a compressor or fan in the few minutes I had.

Can anyone help us narrow down what might be the issue? Is this a compressor, relay, or condenser? Would it be worth repairing? The fridge was built in 2006 so is about 7 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.