Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChinaRider  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:55:20 AM(UTC)
ChinaRider

Groups: Registered

I have a Samsung RS277ACRS refrigerator / freezer and am having trouble with the ice maker.

Symptoms:
Ice maker seems to be dispensing water at random intervals. This results in ice that doesn't get broken into cubes when it ejects, because there is a 1/2 inch or so layer of ice on top of the actual cubes and the twisting of the tray simply can't break the ice block. In addition, I have had several instances of water running off of the ice tray and down into the bucket, thereby causing a big solid mess of ice blocks in the bottom of the bucket once the water freezes. Once when the ice bucket was full, the water actually ran out of the bucket and down into the freezer itself.

Solutions I've tried:
Replaced the solenoid (2-valve combo for ice maker and water dispenser) at the back of the freezer, thinking maybe it was a bad valve that wasn't closing completely and a slow leak that was causing the problem. No luck.
Checked the settings on the display panel for the ice maker - I learned that there are two settings for the amount of water that is dispensed when the ice maker engages the water valve. I checked and verified that it was set for the lower of the two water amounts.

In summary, at some point after the ice maker dispenses water into the tray and before the tray has frozen and been ejected, it dispenses more water. I've actually heard it do this maybe an hour or so after the initial water fill. As far as I can tell, it's a random occurrence. Sometimes the cycle completes and cubes are ejected with no extra water being dispensed, other times the extra water is small enough in volume that the cubes eject and break but they are slightly bigger than normal at the bottom of the cube, or the cubes will eject but not break because of the solid block of ice holding them together. Other times the extra water is so much that it rolls off into the ice bucket and then freezes there...

I'm wondering if I need to replace a control board or something to that effect. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.