Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eds 3rd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:34:01 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

Groups: Registered

I need help to troubleshoot a freezer problem: I have a 9 year old Whirpool Commercial upright freezer (Model # EV201NXMQ03) that will no longer blow cold air. The compressor runs all the time, the orange indicator light on the lower right front of the freezer stays on as well, the fan inside runs all the time as well but it won't blow cold air (only slightly cool causing everything inside to defrost).

I tried changing the thermostat settings to the coldest setting but nothing changed at all. In addition, I emptied the freezer and removed the inside cover to access the coils and fan assembly (fan appears to run all the time) and noticed some ice formations at the top right corner of the coils where I believe the freon initially enters, but the remainder of the tubes inside the coils are warm and do NOt get cold at all.

I unplugged it for several days and tried again but again only very slightly cool air with the inside coils adjacent to the fan not getting cold (only see ice forming at the right top corner of the coils where the freon initially enters).

I also noticed there is a glass tube at the bottom of the inside coil unit that has a spring inside it and it is connected to a black wire on each end (is this a defrost heater??). Anyway, I initially thoiught it may have something to do with my problem but I'm not sure; it DOES NOT heat up or glow like an incadescent light bulb (not sure if it's suppose to?). Any help is appreciated as I really do not want to buy another freezer as nine years isn't really that long!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Eds 3rd  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 5:15:59 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

I haven't heard anything on my original post about the Whirpool Freezer and am sending this as a reminder that I sure would be appreciative for any assistance you can provide to help me decide whether I need to "throw in the towel" on this freezer and get a new one or try to repair it.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 5:48:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]again only very slightly cool air with the inside coils adjacent to the fan not getting cold (only see ice forming at the right top corner of the coils where the freon initially enters).[/COLOR]
Sounds like you have a sealed system problem re: low on freon etc.
This will be an expensive repair and usually it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.
Since the diagnosis may result in scrapping the unit double check that the compressor is on all the time other than when in a defrost cycle. In defrost the compressor and fans shut off.
You can usually hear the compressor running but also should be able to feel it vibrating.

Below is a good link, check out the 3 example pictrures about half way down the page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ref...ator-not-cold-enough.php

[COLOR="Blue"]
I also noticed there is a glass tube at the bottom of the inside coil unit that has a spring inside it and it is connected to a black wire on each end (is this a defrost heater??).[/COLOR]
Yes it is the defrost heater.
It only comes one once every 12 hours or so when the defrost timer goes into a defrost cycle.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Eds 3rd  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 8:05:20 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

Thanks Denman!

I was pretty much told the same thing by another repairman via a phone call and wanted a second opinion before I decided to buy another unit (luckily, I didn't have to pay for a repairman visit to tell me the same thing).

FYI -- The compressor was running all the time and vibration was present as well (with exception to the defrost period) so I guess it's time to buy another freezer.

Is 9 years about the norm now as this freezer was initially purchased "new"? Also, what are your thoughts on a replacement make/model that will be reliable and hopefully last quite a while. My local appliance dealers (Lowes, Home Depot) seem to primarily sell Fridgidaire or Maytag (I guess this is really another name for Whirpool). Any thoughts/suggestions on these two makes (as well as what your recommend) is greatly appreciated.:)
denman  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 8:48:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Is 9 years about the norm now as this freezer was initially purchased "new"?
Unfortunately appliance lifetimes are dropping.
9 years does seem short for a freezer but a lot depends on how often you go into it.

I do not like giving recommendations as I would probably jinx it.

Between Frigidaire and Maytag/Whirlpool I would go with the Maytag.

Try to go simple.
The more bells and whistles you get is just the more stuff to break.
I am also not a big fan of electronic temperature control.
Analogue thermostats do a decent job of regulating the temperature and are more likely to be available in the future.
I even prefer a defrost timer over a Adaptive Defrost Control board but it is getting hard to find units with timers.
Eds 3rd  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 9:21:23 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

Thanks again Denman for all of your help!

I will continue to use Appliancepartspros.com for all of my future appliance repair needs and will continue to share your "Outstanding" site with all of my friends!! Have a great weekend!
Eds 3rd  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 9:32:18 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

Denman,
The particular Maytag Freezer I'm looking at buying is Model # MQF 2056TEW. I'm curious to know if it has the analog temp control (or electronic)?
In addition, do you know if it has the defost timer or does it have the adaptive defrost control board?
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 1:15:06 PM(UTC)
denman

See the attachment for the wiring diagram.

Looks like it uses an analogue thermostat and a defrost timer.
File Attachment(s):
MQF2056.pdf (82kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Eds 3rd  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:06:56 AM(UTC)
Eds 3rd

Thanks again Denman for all of your help!!

:) You guys are truly "Outstanding" and I will continue to use Applinacepartspros.com for all of my appliance parts needs. I'll also share your site with all of my friends.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply