Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fionaxmas  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 9:49:25 AM(UTC)
Fionaxmas

Groups: Registered

My GE side by side fridge has been icing up behind the fresh food drawers for over a year now! It gets so cold down there that food ices up. When the ice builds up enough, the fridge gets warm enough that food starts to spoil. We unplug it, defrost everything and then its fine again for another few months until it freezes again. We've had the techs out but the problem still remains. Last tech that came out about five months ago said it needed an AC De Ice Ball Kit installed but that might not solve the problem. The cost was nearly $600. We declined to have it fixed then. Since then, the fridge is still having the same problem. I decided to buy the kit online from you guys and also a replacement drain trough (old one is very rusty). Now that the kit has arrived it looks MUCH more complicated than I thought it would be to replace and am having second doubts if I can install it or not. Am I mad to try to do this installation myself or should I call back the professional to install it and see if that solves our problem? I am quite handy and replace and fix stuff all the time but this is installing a 'fixer' to a problem as opposed to replacing existing parts that I can follow along..... What do you think? Also, one item I forgot to mention, the water line is fine for the first day or so after we defrost and then it stops working, I suspect because it is frozen. The tech said the heater kit would solve that problem as well.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.