Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sillyfilly72  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:54:51 PM(UTC)
sillyfilly72

Groups: Registered

We just got a used Whirlpool fridge from a friend of ours, who had it sitting in her garage for many years. After cleaning all of the mouse and muddobber nests out of it, we plugged it in and everything seemed to function fine. The next day, the freezer had ice everywhere, mostly in the front, and the fridge was warm. The fan in the freezer blows fine, but there's very little cold air going into the fridge. We checked the vents to make sure they were clean and unobstructed. The seals around the doors are fine and we can't find any gaps. I read the post about checking the defrost timer, but can't find it on the fridge, even with using the diagram. Do we need to take the back panel off the fridge to find it? Is it below, where the condenser is located (which, by the way is extremely hot, but the fan is blowing on it as it should)? The only thing I've noticed that probably isn't as it should be, is that the two openings on either side of the vent going from freezer to fridge have what is left of the styrofoam "plugs". Looks like mice had a go at the styrofoam, but we plugged those up for a couple of days and it still didn't help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 2:43:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You seem to be missing the last digit of the model number.
Here are the parts but you will have to choose the correct unit from the Matching Model Numbers section.
Parts for ET8MTMXKQ0 - AppliancePartsPros.com

For reference I used the Q01 unit.

[COLOR="Blue"]The next day, the freezer had ice everywhere, mostly in the front,[/COLOR]
Not sure what this was. Could be you live in a high humidity area and this is just condensation but usually it is frost not ice.

[COLOR="Blue"]I read the post about checking the defrost timer, but can't find it on the fridge, even with using the diagram.[/COLOR]
It is item 4 in the Liner Parts section. there is usually a hole in the cover so you can force a defrost without dismantling things.

[COLOR="Blue"]The only thing I've noticed that probably isn't as it should be, is that the two openings on either side of the vent going from freezer to fridge have what is left of the styrofoam "plugs". Looks like mice had a go at the styrofoam, but we plugged those up for a couple of days and it still didn't help.[/COLOR]
Sorry but I do niot understand the above.

I would remove the rear cover inside the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.
If they are heavily iced/frosted over it is a defrost problem.
If there is only frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils), it is a sealed system problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply