Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tact  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:27:05 AM(UTC)
Tact

Groups: Registered

My GE side by side ref/freezer of 11 years suddenly slowed down on freezing foods in the freezer. Just noticed it yesterday as food was becoming thawed. This is one that I've kept in the garage for the past six years.

Coils are clean and no ice buildup, but I noticed that the condenser fan is turning slowly. I'm not sure what speed it's supposed to turn, but it appears to be slow, not pushing much air. Kind of similar to a ceiling fan on low speed. It turns free and is not binding or rubbing, but it just appears to be slower than optimal. How fast should it be blowing?

I'm thinking on replacing the motor as it is not too expensive and what appears to be an easy swap, but I've heard that if I swap the motor I also need to swap the circuit board. UserPostedImage

Anyone seen a slow blowing fan being the problem of a freezer not freezing? Any recommendation on just switching the fan motor and not the circuit board at the same time? What else should I look for?

Compressor is HOT to the touch. Normal?

I vacuumed around the fan and the baffle behind the fan appeared to be full of dirt and lint. I sucked the debris as best I could, but couldn't reach the front portion. Fan still appeared to be turning too slowly. Maybe the speed is normal. :confused:

So I put a cup of ice in the freezer and left it over night. This morning the ice was still frozen and none had thawed.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.